Airport Express doesn't "network" with Airport Extreme

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Please, someone talk me thru this process. I have the Extreme and Express. I want to extend the range of my network and be able to play AirTunes through my stereo. I can get the "express" to work and hear my music, but can't surf the "net" at the same time. I have to unplug the "Express" to use the "Extreme" to use the "net". I'm sure this is a very simple problem to fix, but I'm just missing something.

Please help!!

Thomas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Thomas,

Some details of your network setup would help.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well,

I finally figured the whole thing out!! If anyone else is interested, I had to change my settings on my Airport Extreme from a WPA. After that change, everything work as planned! I knew I was the problem and I was missing one little thing. I look forward tochatting with more of you in the future.

Peace
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thomasdrum

Well,

I finally figured the whole thing out!! If anyone else is interested, I had to change my settings on my Airport Extreme from a WPA. After that change, everything work as planned! I knew I was the problem and I was missing one little thing. I look forward tochatting with more of you in the future.

Peace

I discovered this as well. I was considering using my AirPort Express as a main base station and maybe getting another to use as a bridge (to share my connection with my roommates). When I was messing with the settings and tried setting it to use WDS it informed me that I had to use WEP and not WPA (I'm using v 4.0.1 of the AirPort software).

Does anyone know WHY that is? I'd much rather use WPA simply from a security perspective.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I was wondering the same thing. I want the ease of use also.\