WOW!! Great deals to be had at Apple stores...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So, I have never been the type that somehow stumbles upon great deals. If there was a huge sale of some sort, I was the chap who came a day late. If ever there were a mail in rebate on something, I would buy it the day after it expired.

Little was I to know that this evening, all that was to change. I was browsing Apple's site, and saw that they have the new 20" display in their sale section for the great price of $1099. I had it in my cart, and was about to buy it as a means to cure my recently acquired sense of iMac envy (I have a 15" PB) when I thought I would call my local Apple store (Cambridgeside, MA) and see if they had some in store; thus saving me the shipping delay.

"Sorry, said the oh-so-young sounding gal on the phone, "that is a web only deal". "RATS!" I thought to myself, "I will just have to wait for it to get here". As I was about to thank the girl for checking, and go on my way, she suddenly said "but we do have a rather good deal on a 23" HD display from the previous generation". "Good deal?" I asked disarmingly, just waiting for her to drop the $1500 bombshell on me.... "yes" she replied, "it is $699".

I ran to my car, I mean really ran, and was at the Apple store in 6 minutes flat.

The thing was bloody perfect! I mean perfect, not a ding, dent, blemish or bad pixel. Apparently, some chap had bought it, and opened it in store. He expressed -with some dismay, it seems- some sort of dissatisfaction with the industrial design, and then flew away into the night.

So it was.

I am now sitting writing this on the most absolutely gorgeous display I have ever seen, one just packed with pixels and bright enough to light Hawaii; and it was mine for fully 1/3 of original retail.

The moral of the story is to pay a call from time-to-time to your local Apple store, because your luck may well be about to change too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

So, I have never been the type that somehow stumbles upon great deals. If there was a huge sale of some sort, I was the chap who came a day late. If ever there were a mail in rebate on something, I would buy it the day after it expired.

Little was I to know that this evening, all that was to change. I was browsing Apple's site, and saw that they have the new 20" display in their sale section for the great price of $1099. I had it in my cart, and was about to buy it as a means to cure my recently acquired sense of iMac envy (I have a 15" PB) when I thought I would call my local Apple store (Cambridgeside, MA) and see if they had some in store; thus saving me the shipping delay.

"Sorry, said the oh-so-young sounding gal on the phone, "that is a web only deal". "RATS!" I thought to myself, "I will just have to wait for it to get here". As I was about to thank the girl for checking, and go on my way, she suddenly said "but we do have a rather good deal on a 23" HD display from the previous generation". "Good deal?" I asked disarmingly, just waiting for her to drop the $1500 bombshell on me.... "yes" she replied, "it is $699".

I ran to my car, I mean really ran, and was at the Apple store in 6 minutes flat.

The thing was bloody perfect! I mean perfect, not a ding, dent, blemish or bad pixel. Apparently, some chap had bought it, and opened it in store. He expressed -with some dismay, it seems- some sort of dissatisfaction with the industrial design, and then flew away into the night.

So it was.

I am now sitting writing this on the most absolutely gorgeous display I have ever seen, one just packed with pixels and bright enough to light Hawaii; and it was mine for fully 1/3 of original retail.

The moral of the story is to pay a call from time-to-time to your local Apple store, because your luck may well be about to change too.

Interesting. My Apple store had 20" previous generation demo units on sale for $699.

$699 for a 23" is a great deal.

Good for you.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Man that is a fantastic buy, wish that kinda thing happened in Australia
  • Reply 3 of 3
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    That is awesome, and I am currently in the martket for a new display as well.... but alas, I too am In Australia, where Apple has no idea how to treat its loyal customers.

iDunno.