help with DVD copying software

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hey i'm new here and i need some help with a purchase. i'm looking for some software to copy dvds and also to store them on my computer, and have no idea where to go. anybody have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Check versiontracker.com for some freeware and shareware utilities.

FYI, discussion of illegal software use is generally frowned upon in this forum. DVD coping can be a touchy subject due to the legality beyond personal use (for commercial DVDs).
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ian8ian8 Posts: 16member
    o sorry about that i just meant for a home video that i needed to copy, thanks though.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I thought it was legal to make personal copies of movies. You just can't sell themm or give them out?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    i think it is legal, which is why i was wondering about software for it, but fast dvd copy looks pretty good, aside from the price ($99 for copying software?).
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by ian8

($99 for copying software?)

Hmm. . . .I could spend $100 to buy a dvd copying suite to "backup" the movies I have already seen. . .

- OR -

I could spend it to go to the video rental place 20 times . . . to see movies I -(get this!)- HAVEN'T SEEN YET!

If you are going to pirate stuff. . . .don't spend that kind of money on it. . . sheesh!

P.S. if you must proceed, check out macupdate or versiontracker before you go out and spend dough.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by freakyfreak

I thought it was legal to make personal copies of movies. You just can't sell themm or give them out?

If you're cracking the Macrovision protection on the DVD then it would be illegal.

But back on the topic. You should not have to spend $99 on that kind of software. There are countless free and shareware utilities out there.

Here is one: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18599

And now that I think about it. If it is a personal DVD with no protection, then I think you can jut drag the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders to the hard drive and have them copy. Then use toast to reburn them as a DVD video. I think I have done this in the past.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

If you're cracking the Macrovision protection on the DVD then it would be illegal.

That's not at all clear - that's the intent of DMCA, but it's still working its way through the courts. A standard of fair use seems to still be alive, despite the DMCA. For example, it's probably legal to use software like DVDBackup to copy a DVD you own to your computer so you can watch it from your hard drive, or if you're a teacher to show clips to a class.

As I understand it, the question is whether the "fair use" doctrine is a basic part of the First Amendment, or if it can be undone by new laws like this DMCA. I don't think it's been determined yet.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    I only use DVDBackup.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Couldn't you just use Toast and back it up as a disk image. Then Burn that disk image? The software, as I understand it, shouldn't care what the data "is". It should just copy it, bite by bite... Right??
  • Reply 11 of 17
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    mactheripper from versiontracker is apparently pretty good... but I haven't used it.

iDunno.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bottleworks

Couldn't you just use Toast and back it up as a disk image. Then Burn that disk image? The software, as I understand it, shouldn't care what the data "is". It should just copy it, bite by bite... Right??

Not if the DVD has copy protection.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

Not if the DVD has copy protection.

So, I take it... that the copy protection must be a "physical" part of the DVD media?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bottleworks

So, I take it... that the copy protection must be a "physical" part of the DVD media?

No. Hardware vendors have illegally joined up with content providers and created a closed system. Illegal collusion.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

mactheripper from versiontracker is apparently pretty good... but I haven't used it.

iDunno.

This one works great, along with DVDbackup. And I am one who believes that it is perfectly OK to make copies of legally purchased DVDs. We can rip our CDs, why not DVDs?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    hey thanks for everyones input, i'm trying out mactheripper and dvdbackup, and they both seem to work perfectly. i too agree with the idea that if its your dvd then you should be able to import it, but i just wanted to thank everyone for the help.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes those two are the best. And DVD2OneX is the best if it won't fit on a single DVD-R. That's all you need. So simple.