Old eMac - Video out

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is a compilation of a question I asked on another message board and nobody answered. I hope someone here can be more helpful. Thanks a lot.

Is there anyway, through the use of an adapter, to send video and/or audio out from an eMac to be played on a standard TV?

I borrowed an Apple Video Adapter to try it out and it doesn't work. The Apple Store website says that the adapter will work with eMacs that have Airport Extreme. I know mine does not and is actually an older model so I don't know if it could work with it at all. I do not understand though why this is a restriction for use of the Apple Video Adapter. Could someone explain what is going on here?

Does anybody know anything about the iTView and whether or not there are cheaper options out there to do what I want to do?

Thanks again,

Zack

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The eMac has a Mini-VGA adapter. Therefore you should be able to use a mini-vga to composite adapter. http://www.videocapturecard.com/mi.html .

This will only do the video. You will have to connect to the sound out to the audio input on the TV. It all comes down to what connectors you have on your TV.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 6
    As I mentioned in my question, I have already tried this method and it doesn't work. It seems like it should since the eMac does have a mini-VGA adapter but it doesn't. I think it may have something to do with the video card but I am not sure. Apple's store says that the eMac must have Airport Extreme to work with this adapter and mine does not. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Zack
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zgall1

As I mentioned in my question, I have already tried this method and it doesn't work.

The original eMac might not do video out, you might have to get a vga to video conversion box. They arent very expensive these days.

The original ibooks provided their video out through the audio jack. They have a special audio cable which accesses the stereo audio, as well as a composite video signal. You might have to hunt around to find one, but Im pretty sure my local apple store still has them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Do you know if there are any VGA to video conversion boxes that are cheaper than the iTView? <http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...?PartNo=603828>

It is good because it wouldn't require a mini-VGA to VGA adapter but it is quite expensive. Do you know of any that would come out cheaper when the adapter is figured into the price?

Thanks a lot,

Zack
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    You need to widen your search.

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...&CusaNe=200063

Also try froogle.

ISTR the 1st gen emac uses a geforce 2mx, which supports dual head, but only identical scan rates on each head. Im guessing that Apple thought it was too shitty to be worth supporting. TV out isnt built into the chip either.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    It's hard to tell from that list and the product descriptions which one will work for my specific case (1st gen eMac). Could anyone recommend a specific converter?

Thanks

Zack