How do I bookmark a file server?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I bookmark a favorite file server (Windows or Mac) in my Panther? I tried dragging the server icon (as shown in the Network folder) to the Finder Sidebar, Dock and Favorites, but none worked. I also like the ability to create shortcut for a particular folder inside the shared volume.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Doesn't it allow you to create an alias? I don't use the Mac in a networked environment (internet doesn't count).
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Doesn't it allow you to create an alias?

Yup, can't drag it to the sidebar nor dock. Can't make alias, and can't copy to Favorites (when I try to copy, i get the error: The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items.).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    You can click Go>Connect to Server from the Finder. From there type in the address and click the plus sign.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

You can click Go>Connect to Server from the Finder. From there type in the address and click the plus sign.

Hmm... as a Mac user, I wish there's an easier way.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Drag a folder/drive to the wastebasket side of the dock for an alias (right mouse click on this to get a list of contents).

Drag folder/drive to the lower left bar of a finder window to create alias.

Make alias of folder/drive and drag to desktop/directory.

Drag folder to middle of finder window for another alias.

This works for any nfs/smb/afp mounts on our network.

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gibagiba Posts: 99member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Drag a folder/drive to the wastebasket side of the dock for an alias (right mouse click on this to get a list of contents).

Drag folder/drive to the lower left bar of a finder window to create alias.

Make alias of folder/drive and drag to desktop/directory.

Drag folder to middle of finder window for another alias.

This works for any nfs/smb/afp mounts on our network.

Dobby.

Yup, works like a charm. Now I'm wondering if I was out of my mind.

However I don't seem to be able to:

1. Drag drive to the lower left bar of a finder window to create alias.

2. Drag folder to middle of finder window for another alias. (what do you mean by this?)

Thanks!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    1. Folders only in bottom left panel.

2. Drag folder or drive somewhere between view and search icons and you'll see the window change (a red outline appears around them) and drop them there.

Dobby.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

2. Drag folder or drive somewhere between view and search icons and you'll see the window change (a red outline appears around them) and drop them there.

Yep, works. However, after I eject the server, the icons there turn into question marks.... but I probably want to keep my Finder toolbar free of Aqua-like icons anyway.

Thanks again,

Eric
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by giba

Yep, works. However, after I eject the server, the icons there turn into question marks.... but I probably want to keep my Finder toolbar free of Aqua-like icons anyway.

Thanks again,

Eric

Make an alias of the folder/drive and copy to the bar and no ? appears. When you click on an unmounted alias it will try to mount the correct drive.

Dobby.