Connecting two PB's

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My brother and I occasionally get together to swap pictures and other files between our PB's. We usually use an ethernet crossover cable, but we can't always see each other's computers. We both have file sharing ON, but it takes some playing around and sometimes rebooting one or both computers, before the connection is recognized. Any help ??

Also, we both have Airport cards in our PB's, can we transfer files wirelessly ?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    At home we always connect our multiple Macs through a hub which is much simpler.

One easy way to work with just two PBs is to connect them by firewire, restart on PB and hold down the T key of that PB while it restarts. This puts it in a mode such that it looks like an external FW hard drive to the other PB. When done exchanging files dismount the drive in software then disconnect the cable and restart the PB.

By Ethernet, in the network control panels set both PBs to have manually set IP addresses. Choose something like 192.168.128.001 and 192.168.123.002 for the IP addresses. This should not require restarting.

I've never tried it but you should be able to connect just by wireless. Setup sharing ON on both computers then under the WiFi icon in the menu bar look for the other PB. I've seen computers show up here as eligible for sharing but have never tried it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MAP88

My brother and I occasionally get together to swap pictures and other files between our PB's. We usually use an ethernet crossover cable, but we can't always see each other's computers. We both have file sharing ON, but it takes some playing around and sometimes rebooting one or both computers, before the connection is recognized. Any help ?

Thanks for the help.

Well, wild shot-

appletalk is checked on both machines?

therefore the two systems should find themself instantly.

What is happening if you turn off the airportcard? Sometimes the airportcard mess up "wired connections" i.e. iTunes sharing via ethernet, shared printer to name a few.

Quote:

Also, we both have Airport cards in our PB's, can we transfer files wirelessly ?

yes. go to Pref pane -> network-> airport -> appletalk on

NOW your PBs should find each other in the network browser. click connect and voilá.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for all the great tips.

I'll give it a shot this weekend when I see my brother.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    f****! messed up "edit" and "reply"