iBook 700MHz VS. PowerMac 466MHz G4 Performance

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My girlfriend will be buying a new iBook soon (yeah, we're probably going to wait until the update), but could anyone tell me how much faster an iBook is at real-world tasks than my current machine? Does the G4 make that much of a difference? (I was thinking maybe she should get a PowerBook, but she seems fine with the 1024x768, and if the G4 doesn't make that much of a difference...)

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: Jon Rubinstein ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I personally think the iBook will be faster. 466Mhz G4 is no way as fast as a 700Mhz G3. That's a 243Mhz difference. The you'll see a difference in performace. BUT, this all depends on what you all have in your G4. How much Ram what video card. How many hard drives? All makes a difference in performance. If I may suggest. Get the PowerBook G4. But wait until the next upgrades.

This message was brought to you by a Mac without a mouse.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Strange to compare an I book to a powermac : concerning CPU and FPU performance the i book win easily even in some altivec stuff the G4 take advantage (and remember that the i book 700 has a special G4 much more acting like a 800 mhz classical G3).

The ibook take advantage in games vs the rage 128 pro card.

The ibook has a slower HD compared to the one of the G4 (even if the G4 have a 5400 rpm HD).

The i book have a slower mobo, with a much slower gestion of memory.

Considering that what is the more important in term of performance is CPU speed, and after the video card (mainly for games), the HD and in last the memory tech, the i book 700 win.

In resume the ibook 700 is a good buy with an excellent prize/performance ratio.

[ 09-14-2002: Message edited by: Powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The iBook doesn't have a G4, did you mean a special G3?

I think the iBook would win, but remember that PowerMacs can be upgraded. A year or two from now, maybe you'll want to make it a dual processor machine, and up the graphics. And because the PowerMac is expandable, you'll be able to. The bus is faster (133MHz vs. 100MHz), you get 4x AGP instead of 2x AGP, and you can upgrade the processor and graphics card.

Still, the iBook will probably win as long as the G4 is kept stock.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>The iBook doesn't have a G4, did you mean a special G3?

I think the iBook would win, but remember that PowerMacs can be upgraded. A year or two from now, maybe you'll want to make it a dual processor machine, and up the graphics. And because the PowerMac is expandable, you'll be able to. The bus is faster (133MHz vs. 100MHz), you get 4x AGP instead of 2x AGP, and you can upgrade the processor and graphics card.

Still, the iBook will probably win as long as the G4 is kept stock.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes, typo error : sorry.

and yes you can update easily a powermac : that's why i said it's a strange comparison. You can transform a G4 466 in a powermac dualie 1 ghz with a geforce 4 ti in it and powerfull 120 MB HD wiht 8 MB rate transfer : it will rock

(but at what cost ? )
  • Reply 5 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    well, I know that with logic audio the 700 Mhz ibook performs slightly worse than a 400 Mhz G4. 8 plat verbs on a stereo track compared to 9 for the G4. On the 500 Mhz tibook I get 13. So that should answer it for you. And this is logic 4.73, which is not completely altivec optimized. Got it? Good.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    OH, ps. The 550 tibook also gets 8 plat verbs, just like the ibook. sure makes you miss that cache, don't it rev b tibookers? Hmmmmm....