Setting Up a Second Moniter...Video Card Suggestions?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a G5 1.6 model. So far I am using my 17 inch Apple CRT that I have been using since my G4. The moniter is huge and getting old, so I am considering upgrading to either a 17inch LCD or 19inch LCD in order to save space. Still I like having a twin moniter set up so I do my iChatting and e-mailing on one moniter, with my school work/web surfing on the other.

Can anyone recommend a decent video card? I assume installation would be just like my G4. On my G4 I added a cheapy video card just so I had a pallette moniter.

This time I want a fairly decent one so i can put the resolution of the screen up to around 1,000pixels. most likely it will be run on a 15 inch LCD moniter. Since I will use my stock video card to run the 17/19inch LCD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    no one has any idea?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    You should be able to run two monitors off your video card. You'll probably need an adapter, but those will be cheaper than a new card.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    the video cards that come with the G5s have about 64mb of memory. If anything I was thinking of getting an ATI wtih 128 or 256 for my PCI slot, and then using the AGP one for my palette moniter.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Any idea what your current video card is? Does it have two outputs (probably some combination of ADC/DVI/VGA) ?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    My current graphics card is a GeForce FX 5200. The card has only 64mb of VRAM and is AGP.

I was thinking of getting a decent 64-128 PCI card and running a 15inch pallet moniter to put my e-mail and AIM/MSN in when I am using the 17inch for my Word or Photoshop work.

Yet I was also considering since my AGP card has so little VRAM if it would be more wise to get a good PCI card like a 128-256mb ATi card and using that for my main moniter and my AGP 64mb card for a smaller moniter.

Yet price is an issue so if anyone knows of a decent 64mb PCI card that I can use that will work also. So I can run another 15inch LCD or CRT, and still have money to buy ram(my G5 has only 256 as of now, since the 1G from my G4 is no good in it).

I also am buying a Powerbook or iBook the beginning of next year if another generation comes out. So I need to think about saving for that. So my budget is preferrably under $120 for the new video card. Yet, if you guys think its much more worth it to go with a expensive one I might consider it.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Powermacs have been able to run dual monitors off the included graphics card for a long time now. Chikara, I would recommend forgetting about purchasing a 2nd graphics card and just use the built-in card for both monitors. I run two CRT's at 1600x1200 every day off the included G5 graphics card - I wouldn't worry about the 64MB of VRAM. Buy your other monitor, hook it up. If performance is actually an issue, and I don't think it will be, then start looking for another graphics card. Sersiouly, the card you have runs dual monitors no problem.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    A second video card is great if you want three or more monitors. However your choice is limited for the G5 Mac. I know the Radeon 7000 Mac Edition PCI works fine, so does the Rage 128 PCI. Both can be found here . Everyone is right though, all you need is one card to view two monitors.

Almost forgot about Sonnet .
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Well, if you wanted a new AGP card, I have a Geforce4 TI 4600 card I could sell. Guess you probably wouldn't be interested, but I figured I would offer.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    so if I wanted to test to see if my stock video card would run two moniters well enough for me, would I just plug another one into the other slot?

I forget what type came with my G5, are they both DVI slots?

thanks
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chikara

so if I wanted to test to see if my stock video card would run two moniters well enough for me, would I just plug another one into the other slot?

I forget what type came with my G5, are they both DVI slots?

thanks

One is DVI, the other is ADC
  • Reply 11 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Plugging a DVI monitor in to an ADC jack only requires a $20 adapter that Apple makes I believe. Plugging an ADC display to a DVI port requires a breakout box and is far more costly.

I suggest getting your new displays first. You can arrange your workspace and watch your workflow. If you decide you want an extra graphics card you can then install it and attach one of the monitors to it. Personally, I'd say you'll probably be alright with the stock card.

My Dual 2 Ghz has the OEM 9800 Pro. I find that occassionally I wish it had a bit more punch when driving my 20" Cinema Display (ADC). I'd love to upgrade to one of the new aluminum displays but its a hassle and not worth the money and implications with AppleCare.

Have you considered one large display versus two smaller ones?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I have been considering one large one. I feel a 19ich LCD would be to little. I would want 20" plus. So considering cost a 15inch LCD and 17lcd seemed cheaper then one 20"plus one
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

I have been considering one large one. I feel a 19ich LCD would be to little. I would want 20" plus. So considering cost a 15inch LCD and 17lcd seemed cheaper then one 20"plus one

Get this hp L2335 and you'll no longer see any benefit in a dual monitor setup. I use it with my PBG4 17" 1.5 when at home! I never ever use the built-in PB screen alongside it, because it's just huge!

For features and explanations just see here
  • Reply 14 of 15
    that thing is way to expensive for me. I would spend about $1000 on a moniter, Not over $1500.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

that thing is way to expensive for me. I would spend about $1000 on a moniter, Not over $1500.

Yep, agree, but you will not buy 2 monitors!

And it has all the features you may want. I originally planned to for a dual monitor setup with a G5, I will stay with single monitor, cos this thing is so huge .... if just my G5 would arrive!