Can't Install Classic 9.2!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
OK, I HAVE RIPPED EVERY HAIR OFF MY HEAD TRYING TO INSTALL SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE SO DAMN STRAIGHT FORWARD. I HAVE READ JUST ABOUT EVERY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AND APPLES WEBSITE AS TO WHY THIS STUPID THING WILL NOT INSTALL, I HAVE SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS ON THIS STUPID THING JUST SO I CAN UPGRD PHOTOSHOP TO OSX. SORRY FOR THE SOB STORY, BUT I AM AT WITS END WITH NO ANSWER TO THIS LAMEST PROBLEM!!!

I AM IN PANTHER, I LOAD THE 9.2 INSTALL DISK, CLICK INSTALL 9.2 AND GET A MESSAGE THAT SAYS "CLASSIC CANNOT UPDATE FILES IN THE SYSTEM FOLDER ON MAC OS 9.2.1 BECAUSE THE DISK IS READ-ONLY. I TRY TO OPEN CLASSIC PREFS AND GET SAME ERROR MESSAGE. I TRY BOOTING DIRECTLY FROM THE OS 9.2 CD AND EVERYTIME THE COMPUTER FREEZES JUST AS IT IS FINISHING BOOTING UP, SO I CANNOT EVEN GET TO THE INSTALL OS 9.2 ICON. I TRIED CREATING A DISK IMAGE ON ONE OF MY OTHER DRIVES AND THEN INSTALL FROM THERE AND I GET A ERROR MESSAGE THAT SAYS IT WON'T INSTALL FROM A COPIED DISK, I MUST USE THE ORIGINAL, BUT OF COURSE THE ORIGINAL WON'T WORK. UGGH!!! I TRIED COPYING THE SYSTEM FOLDER FROM THE OS 9.2 INSTALL, NOTHING!!! I TOOK ONE DRIVE AND FORMATTED IT WITH THE OS 9 DRIVER ACCORDING THE DISK UTILITY, UNPLUGGED ALL OTHER DRIVES, UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE, STUCK THE OS 9.2 INSTALL DISK IN MY DISK DRIVE AND TRIED TO BOOT THAT WAY TO INSTALL AND STILL THE COMPUTER CRASHES RIGHT BEFORE THE DISK IS ALMOST BOOTED UP. THIS IS INSANE!!!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER TO FIX THIS MOST STUPID PROBLEM!!!

THANK YOU

JASON

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jk7117

OK, I HAVE RIPPED EVERY HAIR OFF MY HEAD TRYING TO INSTALL SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE SO DAMN STRAIGHT FORWARD. I HAVE READ JUST ABOUT EVERY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AND APPLES WEBSITE AS TO WHY THIS STUPID THING WILL NOT INSTALL, I HAVE SPENT COUNTLESS HOURS ON THIS STUPID THING JUST SO I CAN UPGRD PHOTOSHOP TO OSX. SORRY FOR THE SOB STORY, BUT I AM AT WITS END WITH NO ANSWER TO THIS LAMEST PROBLEM!!!

I AM IN PANTHER, I LOAD THE 9.2 INSTALL DISK, CLICK INSTALL 9.2 AND GET A MESSAGE THAT SAYS "CLASSIC CANNOT UPDATE FILES IN THE SYSTEM FOLDER ON MAC OS 9.2.1 BECAUSE THE DISK IS READ-ONLY. I TRY TO OPEN CLASSIC PREFS AND GET SAME ERROR MESSAGE. I TRY BOOTING DIRECTLY FROM THE OS 9.2 CD AND EVERYTIME THE COMPUTER FREEZES JUST AS IT IS FINISHING BOOTING UP, SO I CANNOT EVEN GET TO THE INSTALL OS 9.2 ICON. I TRIED CREATING A DISK IMAGE ON ONE OF MY OTHER DRIVES AND THEN INSTALL FROM THERE AND I GET A ERROR MESSAGE THAT SAYS IT WON'T INSTALL FROM A COPIED DISK, I MUST USE THE ORIGINAL, BUT OF COURSE THE ORIGINAL WON'T WORK. UGGH!!! I TRIED COPYING THE SYSTEM FOLDER FROM THE OS 9.2 INSTALL, NOTHING!!! I TOOK ONE DRIVE AND FORMATTED IT WITH THE OS 9 DRIVER ACCORDING THE DISK UTILITY, UNPLUGGED ALL OTHER DRIVES, UNPLUGGED EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE, STUCK THE OS 9.2 INSTALL DISK IN MY DISK DRIVE AND TRIED TO BOOT THAT WAY TO INSTALL AND STILL THE COMPUTER CRASHES RIGHT BEFORE THE DISK IS ALMOST BOOTED UP. THIS IS INSANE!!!

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER TO FIX THIS MOST STUPID PROBLEM!!!

THANK YOU

JASON

First off, Jason, it is most annoying to post in all caps. That is considered shouting on a forum like this. Nobody likes you to shout in their face.

Next, Jason, when you ask for help, you have give your prospective helpers just a little bit of useful information. The most important information this case model of computer your are trying to use. This bit of information will tell us whether or not your computer can boot into MacOS 9.2.1.

And the last of my little lecture, Jason, you seem to think that when you have a problem, you tear-up your computer, toss the parts into the air, and then hope that everything works like they are supposed to when they hit the floor. Well, Jason, that just doesn't work--no matter what you are working on.

Now for some diagnosis:

You cannot install MacOS 9 by running the MacOS 9 installer in the Classic environment. To run the MacOS 9.2.1 installer, you must boot from the MacOS 9.2.1 CD. If your commputer doesn't boot MacOS 9, then you have to take a different tack.

If your computer cannot boot MacOS 9, then you may restore your Classic environment from the CDs that came with your system. Its really simple. MacOS 9 is contained in a disk image file that you simply open. It mounts a virtual volume on your Desktop. You drag the System Folder and Applications (MacOS 9) folder to your favorite place on your MacOS X computer. If you are networked to another computer or if you use CD-R/RW Sneaker Net, then you can copy an installation of MacOS 9.2.1 from one computer to another.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Hello Mr Me,

Thanks for the response, I did not mean to come across shouting, just frustrated.

To give a little more info about my situation I bought the mac from apple with 9.04 installed on it, I upgraded up to 9.2.2 then to 10.2. A while ago I wipe the drive clean that had OS 9 and since then I cannot get OS 9 back onto my computer. Last night I believe I tried exactly what you suggested. I went to my restore disk, opened the the disk image file which placed it on my desk top, I dragged or copied that to the drive I wanted to install OS 9 to and then tried again to install OS 9 to which again my mac said, I cannot install with a copy, it did not see it as a valid system folder.

Someone just told me that I need to bless the OS 9 system folder before I put in my computer, that it needs the happy face to work. Maybe this what I need to do.

Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Just for anyone's info if this help's, I was finally able to install classic 9.2 on my G4 mac. Fortunately I had a working OS9 system folder on my computer at work. I made a copy of that and put it on the drive I chose to install OS 9.2 and was able to boot in classic.

So my conclusion came to this, if you wipe your drive totally clean of system 9 and then install OSX, you will need to reload a working OS9 system folder from another computer. The OS9 system folder on the install disk won't work, or at least it did not in my case.

My apologies for going off on a rant with my first post.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jk7117

Hello Mr Me,

Thanks for the response, I did not mean to come across shouting, just frustrated.

To give a little more info about my situation I bought the mac from apple with 9.04 installed on it, I upgraded up to 9.2.2 then to 10.2. A while ago I wipe the drive clean that had OS 9 and since then I cannot get OS 9 back onto my computer. Last night I believe I tried exactly what you suggested. I went to my restore disk, opened the the disk image file which placed it on my desk top, I dragged or copied that to the drive I wanted to install OS 9 to and then tried again to install OS 9 to which again my mac said, I cannot install with a copy, it did not see it as a valid system folder.

Someone just told me that I need to bless the OS 9 system folder before I put in my computer, that it needs the happy face to work. Maybe this what I need to do.

Thanks for the info.

Jason, I am happy everything worked out for you. However, now that I know that your computer had MacOS 9.0.4 when you bought it, it should be able to boot into that OS or a newer version of MacOS 9. It may be that you were using a copy of someone's distribution CD of MacOS 9.2.1. If copied incorrectly, the CD cannot boot. But, the bottomline is that you are whole again. Welcome to the Wonder World of Mac.