Radeon 9000 pro worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I own a Quicksilver 867 with 768megs of RAM and the stock GeForce2 32 meg card. I'm thinking of blowing the big "What do you want for your birthday?" on the Radeon 9000 pro. The demanding apps I use are Blender and Final Cut Express and I'm not sure how much they use the GPU. I also enjoy the occasional game like SimCity 4, Jedi Outcast, or X-Plane. Will I notice a significant difference or will the relative slowness of the rest of the machine hold back the card?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

I own a Quicksilver 867 with 768megs of RAM and the stock GeForce2 32 meg card. I'm thinking of blowing the big "What do you want for your birthday?" on the Radeon 9000 pro. The demanding apps I use are Blender and Final Cut Express and I'm not sure how much they use the GPU. I also enjoy the occasional game like SimCity 4, Jedi Outcast, or X-Plane. Will I notice a significant difference or will the relative slowness of the rest of the machine hold back the card?

i dunno about blender, but i dont fcp will wee a significant performance boost--fcp would benefit more from ram, a SATA drive, and a better processor.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

i dunno about blender, but i dont fcp will wee a significant performance boost--fcp would benefit more from ram, a SATA drive, and a better processor.

I didn't think FCE made extensive use of the vid-card. I think Blender does, though not for rendering finished products.