PB G4 17" 512 Ram Vs 1.5 G. question.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I currently have a PB G4 17" 1.33GHz with 512 RAM.

I use a lot FCE and other digital software. My performance is getting low.

I have one empty slot and want to add a 1Gig module in addition to my existing 512. Would I see a considerable change in performance?

Can anyone give me some recommendations?

I live in Taiwan.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Hmm, here is a hint. Launch your terminal, and run the top command to see the pageout activity when you stress your system. If the number in the parenthese is nonzero and keeps that way, then a memory upgrade will much help. But if this number is zero almost all the time and occasionally hits nonzero values, then a memory upgrade should do little in improving performance.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by igorveni

I currently have a PB G4 17" 1.33GHz with 512 RAM.

I use a lot FCE and other digital software. My performance is getting low.

I have one empty slot and want to add a 1Gig module in addition to my existing 512. Would I see a considerable change in performance?

Can anyone give me some recommendations?

I live in Taiwan.

Thank you.

I did upgrade from 512MB to 1.5GB on a 17" 1.5GHZ with a similar usage profile. You will think you have a new computer (excep for "pure" rendering tasks where the CPU is the bottleneck).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

I did upgrade from 512MB to 1.5GB on a 17" 1.5GHZ with a similar usage profile. You will think you have a new computer (excep for "pure" rendering tasks where the CPU is the bottleneck).

I did exactly the same thing and the difference in speed is very noticeable. Don't expect high speed renders from FCE or MPEG encoding from iDVD or DVDSP, they're both processor bound.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I have a 15" 1.5ghz 512mb and looking to get another stick for helping out generally and also with idvd,imovie and ps stuff and was wondering the following..

The std ram is DDR333, seeing as the new iMac G5 etc uses DDR400 would it be a good idea to buy xtra ram for todays powerbooks as DDR400 thinking that when/if a g5 does make it to a pb then I could just swap the ram into new machine... the 400 should fall back to 333 speed in the alybooks correct?
  • Reply 5 of 5

I have a 17" PB 1.5GHz with 1.5GB RAM. You do notice more performance from applications. But, you especially notice more performance when using mutiple applications. Expose still works like a charm.