iMac Died. Fix or Upgrade?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My 17" FL 1 Ghz G4 iMac kicked the bucket at only one year of age this weekend. No boot, nothing. Turn it on and you can hear power, but no HD activity and nothing on the display...No mouse light, nothing.

This is the second time I've had a problem with this unit, and despite being under AppleCare and therefore ready for a FREE fix, I'm wondering what my options would be to upgrade to a new G5 iMac...

Anyone know what I could get for the G4?

Is there any sort of 'official' trade-up program from Apple?

How much $ is worth the upgrade?

Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

My 17" FL 1 Ghz G4 iMac kicked the bucket at only one year of age this weekend. No boot, nothing. Turn it on and you can hear power, but no HD activity and nothing on the display...No mouse light, nothing.

This is the second time I've had a problem with this unit, and despite being under AppleCare and therefore ready for a FREE fix, I'm wondering what my options would be to upgrade to a new G5 iMac...

Anyone know what I could get for the G4?

Is there any sort of 'official' trade-up program from Apple?

How much $ is worth the upgrade?

Any input is appreciated.

well, whether you sell it or not, let apple fix it first. thats a no-brainer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Yeah, obviously I'm going to have it repaired.

Posts on eBay are between $800 and $1200 depending upon sofware etc. I'd sell mine with Office for Mac v.X and some other extras (Soundtrack). In original packaging with 2 years AppleCare remaining.

I'd hope to get $1,100. Reasonable?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Well, I sold mine prior to announcement for $1200 on ebay, so I think you will be safe with that amount. I only had the 800Mhz model as well. Good luck, and since you still have AppleCare it will help sell the unit.