Will more RAM mean anything?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My Powermac 933Mhz has 1024mb of RAM, two 256mb and one 512mb modules.

Would it be woth it to increase it another 256mb or max out at 1.5gig's?

I'd have to waste the two 256mb modules I have and get another two 512mb modules to get to 1.5 gigs.

I know that adding RAM is always a good idea, but considering that I have 1024mb and I'd have to waste the two 256 modules, would the improvement still be worth the cost?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by dygysy:

<strong>My Powermac 933Mhz has 1024mb of RAM, two 256mb and one 512mb modules.

Would it be woth it to increase it another 256mb or max out at 1.5gig's?

I'd have to waste the two 256mb modules I have and get another two 512mb modules to get to 1.5 gigs.

I know that adding RAM is always a good idea, but considering that I have 1024mb and I'd have to waste the two 256 modules, would the improvement still be worth the cost?</strong><hr></blockquote>

One gigaByte of RAM is enough for most applications unless that you are a power user dealing with monster file like 300 MB photoshop files.

For current use, 1 GB is more than confortable and did not justify the cost of this update and the loss of the 256 MB modules.

I think that we can say for OS X :

-128 MB minimum in order to work, but do not expect a great experience with that amount of RAM

- 256 MB recommanded

- 512 MB to be confortable

- 1024 MB to rock

[ 09-17-2002: Message edited by: Powerdoc ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    actually min req for osx is 64MB (at least for x.0). you cant run classic though. (i've done it, on an original-line imac) alos, i'm quite surprised that someone could have soooooo much ram and not be content with it. i've run osx on 128 for more than a year and i'm happy. i recently added another 128 (cuz my friedn had an extra dimm), and got no noticeable difference.

i suppose if u do actual work on ur comp, more ram could be used, but a gig is definitely more than enough. (i think gates has been quoted saying that 128k is more than enough for anybody; so i'll eat my words when we get to a petabyte of RAM)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 4 of 9
    You probly have twice as much as you need now.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    get an Ipod
  • Reply 6 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    [quote]Originally posted by FlashGordon:

<strong>get an Ipod</strong><hr></blockquote>

ummm... what's an iPod have to do with anything? other than the fact that they're just plain kewl
  • Reply 7 of 9
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Thank you Airsluf...I thought it was pretty obvious but I guess I have to spell it out...it would definately be a better use of the dough
  • Reply 9 of 9
    One thing you do gain from having maximum RAM inside is the ability to keep a lot of applications open without having to worry about too many causing RAM shortage problems. I've used "top" in the terminal to see that it is possible to use all 1.5 GB of RAM if you want to forget about quiting apps all the time. If you could find someone who would like to adopt your two 256MB sticks for $100, then you would be able to graduate to two 512MB sticks for just a few dollars more. In that case you should do it.