G5 PowerMac : Reliable and long-lived?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I've been having some problems with the reliability of my Powerbook, so I was wondering if getting a base model G5 would be the best way of keeping out of Apple Service Providers. These are the points and questions that I am considering:

1. As a professional desktop machine, would it be appropriate to assume that a G5 will be more reliable than a laptop? These are expected to render at full CPU 24/7, aren't they?

2. I'm used to using a clamshell iBook and a 12" Powerbook - will I notice the PM as much louder? - I'd hope that the slowest one would be the quietest of the bunch.

3. I don't really need the extra mobo features of the 2.0 and 2.5, do I? I'm just a home user, hoping for a long-lived machine. Will this mobo be less upgradable beyond the PCI slots?

4. Is there much difference between the basic NVidia card supplied or the cheaper ATI BTO option, which is not much extra?

5. How easy is it to open and do suff inside the case (e.g. an extra HD or RAM)

6. My powerbook has been in for repairs so many times that if it does not come back right the next time, I am due for a new repacement machine. Is it unheard of being allowed to use this value to buy another mac, paying the difference? - This would make getting the G5 much easier and cheaper.

Any ideas or comments much appreciated!

David