Dual Proc cannot mount MS using RDC

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
couldn't decide if this fits better in Software, but since it seems specific to a hardware difference (SP or DP), thought i'd throw it here...

mod move as req'd

--

NoteÂ*Â* Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac is currently available only for Macintosh computers with a single PowerPC processor.Â*Microsoft is developing a version of the program that supports dual processors.

Released: 7/17/2002

-- <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/DOWNLOAD/MISC/RDC.asp"; target="_blank">from here</a>

i know there are some apps (Altivec Fractal Carbon, for example) that seem to allow you to disable multiprocessing - OS may still use DP, but the app itself drops to single threading

so my questions are:

1*

is there (where) a global app or haxie to turn off multiprocessing for a given session and re-enable it later &lt;given it's possible in AFC&gt;?

1b*

it ain't jag, cause 10.2 iMac and eMac both successfully mounted the win system,

so from here it seems to be a pure DP issue. aside from the client who called with this problem yesterday and my own brief (failed) test on a DP867, anybody else confirm this frustration?

2*

anybody with an older Dual and 10.2 tried using RDC (i.e.: is this a general DP issue or unique to the Speedholes)?

3*

alternative suggestions or workarounds?

and my favourite

4*

other than MS evil or quirks of timing/emulation/address (all i can theorize at the moment), WHY would this be the case.

WHY would a remote box care if i were SP or DP?

puzzlin

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    You can disable (and later re-enable) the second processor at the Open Firmware prompt. I'm not sure what the exact command is, but I know it is possible.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 3 of 5
    AirSluf,

input is welcome. this clearly needs some more explanation, but i'm not sure where you think the stupidity lies. i'm not _saying_ here's why, i'm theorizing and _asking_ why. if my guesstimates are the cause, let me clarify a bit...

i believe that the mac end of RDC is multithreaded

(or it would warn DP users not to try it... duals have been around long enough now)

something in the windows end doesn't like that

(hence the "we're working on a fix" from MS, not Apple's website)

the same mac app runs on single processor macs and can connect to win machines with no problem (devolves to single threading, perhaps?)

no mention on Apple about them trying to fix this problem.

and it would seem odd that if you're releasing a line of all DP Powermacs with Jaguar trumpeting as one of its benefits "better integration/interoperability with Windows servers" that your development elves wouldn't have run into this already as they test RDC on duals from the QS era as well as new MDD.

Brad's suggestion of OF enable/disable sounds logical

(from an engineering test front too) so i'll try and test it later today

airsluf, your implication that each app is a homogenous-to-processor creature unable to tolerate any state other than what it was built for would mean duplicate everything for SP or DP machines. upgrading an SP to a DP daughtercard (or back) would mean all existing apps would fail. this does not seem to be the case. many multi-capable apps _also_ run on SP machines, without a unique executable.

part of this hunt is to find the fix

(and i think i do recall an SP/DP flag in OF)

part is to understand the process better

thanks

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: curiousuburb ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    They can't code for shit, so they blame the dual CPUs...I'm not surprised.

G-News
  • Reply 5 of 5
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member