Next version of Airport Express

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I believe AE has been a major hit with apple and I think its a great idea even if I havn't even tried it myself. So whats next for AE?

I think theres just one small thing missing now from making the mac THE digital hub and just throw out all the thoughts about watching tv on the mac or making a special Apple DVR. And whats that?

AIRVIDEO!

Make the next version of AE include support for video out. Cram a compressed video image into the AE bandwidth and put analog + digital video out on the AE box. Voila! You have THE digital hub. Thats what I really want. Thats what I desperatly want actually. Integrate controls for it into Quicktime, iDVD, iMovie and Finalcut and maybe into the OS itself. PS Its great for watching DIvX movies... or your latest iMovie. Whitout having the computer next to the tv or burning a dvd.

Next stop iTunes for video... a k a Quicktime Tiger. And let people buy short films from the iVideo Store. Forget about feature films until bandwidth is better. Think Music Videos, Movie Extras, Interviews, Short films, South Park, Simpsons...

I want it. Do you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think the AirportExtreme A/V basestation will include some decoder chips to permit streaming of encoded MPEG audio and video. The unit decodes it to play on a TV or whatnot. Perhaps this is part of the "wireless Firewire" we've heard rumors of. A firewire output on the unit would rule! Either way, this technology will cost more which is why I see it destined for the pricier AirPort Extreme units or perhaps in some new Pro model.