Career changes + making money from your mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi folks, just wondering how you folks make your living (if at all) from your Mac?

At the moment I?m facing a kind of personal dilemma: my work is in academia - I just finished a PhD in psychology ? and I?m currently doing cognitive research which is all about computer-based reaction time tasks. But I?m realising that my real passion lies in computing & technology especially video work, video effects and graphics. I?ve edited a fair few movies & clips on an amateur level and have done a surprising amount of work with Photoshop, Illustrator & Dreamweaver. So, I'm pondering trying to move careers into something more creative and computer-based. I think I?m more interested in actually playing about with content rather than creating it (i.e editing video someone else has shot rather than shooting it myself (although i do quite enjoy that too); or making a Motion / After Effects type presentation for example).

So I guess the idea of doing this for a living is kinda new to me and I was hoping someone out there had some pointers on how to get going?!? Suggestions on where to look? Who to talk to? Books to read and so on?

I should also mention I?m English and living in the UK at the moment so I guess I need a UK slanted reply please?

Thanx a lot for listening!

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I do a lot of creative work at production companies, and money can be made, but not a whole lot. The creative industry is more about who you know than what you can do (this will probably piss some people off). I mean if you suck at video stuff, then there's no hope, but your salary will largely depend on your connections and what kind of positions people will consider you for. So yes, you can make money doing creative work on a Mac, but not much (this holds true for PC's too.)

People are gonna reply to this post saying that they make X amount per year and all that, but it all depends on where you live too. If you think you can get into a production house that does stuff Chiat/Day, then you're fine. Otherwise, use your degree.

Props for following your passion.

edit: ok you live in the UK--I have no idea what salaries run over there.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ipodandimac - Hi and thanks for the info. From the looks of your blog, you are at uni!? How did you get to be doing work at production companies then? And do you mind me asking what sort of stuff you do for them?

Thanx
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Indecisive PC user

How did you get to be doing work at production companies then? And do you mind me asking what sort of stuff you do for them?

Thanx

Good contacts is how I'm already getting work. I figure if I can earn a decent amount of money now, as a 20 year old, I should be well off b/c of experience by my mid-20s on. This past summer I worked on a nationwide training video for a large organization (I dont wanna discuss too many details cause I'm not sure what my boundaries are--video is a competitive business). I also worked on a few commercials and a music video. I primarily used Final Cut Pro HD, DVD Studio Pro 3, After Effects 6.5, and Photoshop. I don't wanna send the wrong impression--I'm not this miracle video guy, I just happened to be at the right place at the right time and got to work on some great stuff. Some of what I did was still local, boring stuff, so my plan over the next few years is to keep going to bigger and bigger production companies until I find the perfect one. I figure the only person holding me back is myself, so I'm always pushing myself to learn more and do better work.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, I'm trying to make money with my Mac, but seeing as I'm sitting in a web authoring class at my high school right now, I have a ways to go.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Well, I'm trying to make money with my Mac, but seeing as I'm sitting in a web authoring class at my high school right now, I have a ways to go.

Wanna make money with a mac? here is my little idea, buy any additional needed hardware (vcr, capture hardware, adapters for svhs, hi-8 and digi-8 ), and the video suite, and with a dual G5, or even a PMG4, take an ad out in the local paper and convert peoples home movies to pro-quality DVD.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Hi folks, just wondering how you folks make your living (if at all) from your Mac?

Vice President Dick Cheney recommends:

http://www.ebay.com/

• Reply 7 of 18
    Talent is a big reason to get in the biz and also maybe who you know. Personally you're best bet in media is to start at a tv station or radio station and intern for awhile. Most RTF's (radio, tv, and film majors) go that route.

I personally went to school for animation 5 years ago graduated in a bust economy and fell into advertising.

Personally yes its perfectly viable that you can do this as a career but as with anything I used to love to draw but now when I have to do it for cash its the cursed juxtapose situation of my sense of self I guess that I dont feel as happy as I was doing it for fun anymore. What was an escape is not a ball-n-chain. so think about that. Do you want to be forced to do it day in and out for people who demand stuff that sucks and won't let you do what what you want?

ah yes that is the world of advertising

I make about 1 commercial a week, and do extensive video and print advertising across the state of texas and national too. I think personally someone with a PHD in pyschology could do society a lot more good that someone who makes stuff people try an ignore all day.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Placebo: If you want to make some beer money without doing too much, the real way to do so is by shareware/donationware. Trust me here. I've been in your shoes. I wouldn't get started with web authoring either, since it's not really that interesting once you get into it, and it doesn't pay that great.

If you want to build your portfolio for later, start 3D modeling & animation now. There aren't really a lot of people who do it well, as evidenced by today's Hollywood.

Next, you want to find a niche. If I were to go full time with 3D modeling (which I probably could), I'd go into magazine and print graphics. This is what I do best and where I have the most contacts. After a while, I'd hope to get a few jobs modeling bio-mechanical objects for hollywood. (modern planes, cars, non-retarded-looking-spaceships, other things that are defined by tight, precise, yet not necessarily geometric curves).

There you have it, a niche. If you can become the ndusty's go-to man for something, even if it seems narrow, you'll probably do better than if you're a jack of all trades.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Hey, thanks for the good ideas folks I guess like most things including academia, the "who you know" bit is, as some of you have said, what counts the most. At the moment i don't know anyone. The BBC has a local office just down the road from me so maybe that's something i should look into.

I thought about web authoring Placebo, but I've got a feeling that it would end up being very boring for me personally so i don't fancy that much.

I like the idea from a_greer about doing video conversion. That might well be a good place to start for me as a side-line. At the moment I don't have a decent machine so this could be a way of making it pay for itself...

I also like the 3D modelling idea. I've not done any of that as yet. I had a play with Maya a good while ago and with 3D Studio Max. But as kraig911 says, that might be a good avenue too. What's the main package for this sort of stuff on the Mac?

Well, thanks again - given me a few things to think about...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

I also like the 3D modelling idea. I've not done any of that as yet. I had a play with Maya a good while ago and with 3D Studio Max. But as kraig911 says, that might be a good avenue too. What's the main package for this sort of stuff on the Mac?

Well, thanks again - given me a few things to think about...

There are a number of mac programs that are good. It depends a lot on what you want to do.

Lightwave - fairly easy to use, mainstream program. Not particularly great at anything, though, and no true spline support. (important for me)

Cinema4D - Similar to Lightwave, but with a bit better modeling features at the cost of Lightwave's fairly intuitive polygon-centric modeling style.

FormZ - 3D modeling juggernaut. CAD like interface and support for every kind of shape imagineable. Huge learning curve, but it's extremely good for modeling insanely detailed and complex scenes. I use FormZ because it can do polygons and splines equally well. The downside is that it has a shitty renderer. (I didn't even bother buying that component)

Maya - good for biological/organic shapes and animation of these shapes. Not particularly good for large scenes or mechanical stuff, though.

Electric Image - Best deal in 3D, and it runs very well even on dated hardware. "Universe" has a top-shelf animator and perhaps the best rendering engine in the world, right up there with Renderman. The modeling program is a bit finicky, but it has an extremely rich toolset for NURBs modeling, so I use it a lot to design injection molded plastic enclosures. It's hard to beat for surface modeling.

I own FormZ and Electric Image. I personally think they are the best combo in 3D. EI is used a lot in Hollywood because the renderer is so good. FormZ isn't, because it's modeling style is precision oriented. So it's used a lot in Architecture and industrial design as a CAD program. If you do decide to get into 3D, just realize that it takes a very long time to figure out what you're doing. It also takes a long time to make anything good, even once you know what you're doing.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Splinemodel

[B]There are a number of mac programs that are good. It depends a lot on what you want to do.

<snip>

Hey, thanks for the info, i'll take a look...
  • Reply 12 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Placebo: If you want to make some beer money without doing too much, the real way to do so is by shareware/donationware. Trust me here. I've been in your shoes. I wouldn't get started with web authoring either, since it's not really that interesting once you get into it, and it doesn't pay that great.

If you want to build your portfolio for later, start 3D modeling & animation now. There aren't really a lot of people who do it well, as evidenced by today's Hollywood.

Next, you want to find a niche. If I were to go full time with 3D modeling (which I probably could), I'd go into magazine and print graphics. This is what I do best and where I have the most contacts. After a while, I'd hope to get a few jobs modeling bio-mechanical objects for hollywood. (modern planes, cars, non-retarded-looking-spaceships, other things that are defined by tight, precise, yet not necessarily geometric curves).

There you have it, a niche. If you can become the ndusty's go-to man for something, even if it seems narrow, you'll probably do better than if you're a jack of all trades.

Coding is about the last thing I want to do professionally. Sure, web authoring involves muchas coding, but in the end it's visual, and I couldn't live with just being in Interface Builder and Xcode all day.

Designing Konfab/Dashboard widgets might be interesting, though. I'll look into that.

Well, I'm going to drag Maya PLE back into my dock and give a shot at that again. \
  • Reply 13 of 18
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

At the moment I?m facing a kind of personal dilemma: my work is in academia - I just finished a PhD in psychology ? and I?m currently doing cognitive research which is all about computer-based reaction time tasks. But I?m realising that my real passion lies in computing & technology especially video work, video effects and graphics.

Don't give up your day job. Seriously: use your degree. Unless you absolutely hate psychology, find a way to blend your training with your current interest (video editing). And even if you do absolutely hate psychology, give yourself a few years out of grad school before you throw in the towel.

I know where you're coming from. I've been tickled to have learned programming while being a Biochemistry grad student. It's seductive, and often more fun than writing papers and doing wetwork. But I would never be so dumb as to try to make a career out of it. Look at this way. I will have spent 12 years of post-secondary education learning how to be a scientist. How many other people have done or even can do that? A few, but not so many. Now, how many people could spend the year or so part-time learning how to code Perl, like I did? Lots. Lots and lots. On the other hand, how many people have a PhD in biochemistry and know their way around Perl? Not nearly enough, judging from the state of BioPerl.

Your advantage is your training in Psychology. Use it. Find some way to apply your interest to your field of expertise. I'm sure most psychologists who use computer-based reaction time tasks don't find producing them nearly as interesting as you do. Heck, you could even study the psychological effects of video edits - think of the consulting possibilities in advertising and politics! You will almost certainly be far better off if you can blend your talents and education than if you try to make a living doing something that any 16 year-old with a Mac can do as well as you.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

Don't give up your day job. Seriously: use your degree. Unless you absolutely hate psychology, find a way to blend your training with your current interest (video editing). And even if you do absolutely hate psychology, give yourself a few years out of grad school before you throw in the towel.

I'm currently going into second year of my BSc Psychology - and like Indecisive, I'm starting to have doubts about making a career of it.

I speak to a lot of CS students, and am finding myself envying their degree more and more. At the moment, Psych to me seems a lot of writing he-said-she-said papers about other people's opinions, and it seems I won't have much to contribute. We did do some original research last year, but nothing important... it seems you have to work your way up for ages before you can actually do something that benefits people.

Computing, on the other hand, even the lowliest shareware developer can make something that a fair few people would use and enjoy. I'm learning WebObjects at the moment - with that, I can (nearly! I'm still learning) create sites that are on par technically with any big business. There's less of the struggle before you can do something that other people can find useful.

I reckon I'll finish the Psych BSc, but I'm starting to reconsider my plans to go on to a PhD. Gotta spend some time working out exactly what I want to do, I guess.

Amorya
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

I do a lot of creative work at production companies, and money can be made, but not a whole lot. The creative industry is more about who you know than what you can do (this will probably piss some people off). I mean if you suck at video stuff, then there's no hope, but your salary will largely depend on your connections and what kind of positions people will consider you for. So yes, you can make money doing creative work on a Mac, but not much (this holds true for PC's too.)

People are gonna reply to this post saying that they make X amount per year and all that, but it all depends on where you live too. If you think you can get into a production house that does stuff Chiat/Day, then you're fine. Otherwise, use your degree.

Props for following your passion.

edit: ok you live in the UK--I have no idea what salaries run over there.

Pretty much what he said. I've been working for production companies for about 3 years. I'm only 20 as well and in that time I have worked on one major motion picture, a special for the Speed Channel, 3 major commercials, and 2 documentaries with two more on the way, one I'm producing, shooting, and editing, the other I am doing the same...but with the possibility of it going to Animal Planet. I've also done some shooting for the Washington Post's AV website.

It is totally who you know. Don't be afraid to shake hands and introduce yourself. I've got friends that work everywhere from campus to a family friend who won 3 Oscars for his work on Lord of the Rings, and just to give you an example of good networking, I introduced myself to this family friend, asked him if he knew anyone who was working on the Da Vinci Code film, he told me his best friend is Ron Howard's producer and there was a chance he could hook me up as a production assistant for the shooting in Paris and Rome. I also introduced myself to a lot of people including the director of the feature film I worked on.

One contact that has served me well is a gentlemen who worked on Hidalgo and several other films for Disney who is also planning on shooting on the Da Vinci Code and may take me along as HIS assistant. So network, network, network. Skills don't hurt either, but like ipodandimac said, if you don't do video, forget it. I am in the process of getting myself certified in Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio, Motion, and Shake. Throw some Photoshop and After Effects on top of that and you have a solid resume. Learn it, live it, breathe it, but don't rely on it, especially in something like the film industry. Storytelling is everything. You can't be a good shooter without knowing how to tell a story, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a good editor without knowing how to tell a story. Take a few english classes, shoot, even minor in it if you are in college. An emmy-winning documentary filmmaker friend of mine told me this...

"Anyone can push buttons, but if you know how to tell a story, you've got it 90% made."

I'm only 20 and still in school, and I'm not trying to brag or boast, but if I can do it in bodink Milwaukee, Wisconsin, pretty much anyone can do it. It's great money, and the best part is...it's a LOT of fun if you're good at it.

EDIT: Oh, and I do everything on a loaded 17" Powerbook.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I know where you're coming from. I've been tickled to have learned programming while being a Biochemistry grad student. It's seductive, and often more fun than writing papers and doing wetwork. But I would never be so dumb as to try to make a career out of it. Look at this way. I will have spent 12 years of post-secondary education learning how to be a scientist. How many other people have done or even can do that? A few, but not so many. Now, how many people could spend the year or so part-time learning how to code Perl, like I did? Lots. Lots and lots. On the other hand, how many people have a PhD in biochemistry and know their way around Perl? Not nearly enough, judging from the state of BioPerl.

Your advantage is your training in Psychology. Use it. Find some way to apply your interest to your field of expertise. I'm sure most psychologists who use computer-based reaction time tasks don't find producing them nearly as interesting as you do. Heck, you could even study the psychological effects of video edits - think of the consulting possibilities in advertising and politics! You will almost certainly be far better off if you can blend your talents and education than if you try to make a living doing something that any 16 year-old with a Mac can do as well as you.

Hi Towel, thanks for the encouragement As you rightly summised, I don't really want to throw away all the years of earning the PhD but I really want to get into something which is a bit more 'computery' so your suggestions really make sense. I guess I just need to figure out a niche i can try and make for myself and you've given me a few good suggestions...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I'm currently going into second year of my BSc Psychology - and like Indecisive, I'm starting to have doubts about making a career of it.

I speak to a lot of CS students, and am finding myself envying their degree more and more. At the moment, Psych to me seems a lot of writing he-said-she-said papers about other people's opinions, and it seems I won't have much to contribute. We did do some original research last year, but nothing important... it seems you have to work your way up for ages before you can actually do something that benefits people.

Computing, on the other hand, even the lowliest shareware developer can make something that a fair few people would use and enjoy. I'm learning WebObjects at the moment - with that, I can (nearly! I'm still learning) create sites that are on par technically with any big business. There's less of the struggle before you can do something that other people can find useful.

I reckon I'll finish the Psych BSc, but I'm starting to reconsider my plans to go on to a PhD. Gotta spend some time working out exactly what I want to do, I guess.

Amorya

Hey Amorya, I would really recommend finishing the degree - it's really worth it even if only on a personal interest level. I had the same thoughts you did when doing my undergrad degree - i nearly swapped to computer science. But, psyhcology at degree level was far more intersting than what my computer science buddies were doing. Whether you want to go off and do a post-grad / post-doc / lecturing (i.e pursue a career in psyc) is another matter. At undergrad level, it really doesnt matter what the degree was in - employers want someone who has the ability to learn, be self-disciplined etc. Doing a degree is a great opportunity and a great time in your life that probably won't come again! So enjoy it But yeah! as you say - take some time to decide what you want to do after it. Don't get me wrong, doing the PhD has been really enjoyable, i think i'm just at the 'make or break' stage right now... Should have gone with the clinicla training... \
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Pretty much what he said. I've been working for production companies for about 3 years. I'm only 20 as well and in that time I have worked on one major motion picture, a special for the Speed Channel, 3 major commercials, and 2 documentaries with two more on the way, one I'm producing, shooting, and editing, the other I am doing the same...but with the possibility of it going to Animal Planet. I've also done some shooting for the Washington Post's AV website.

It is totally who you know. Don't be afraid to shake hands and introduce yourself. I've got friends that work everywhere from campus to a family friend who won 3 Oscars for his work on Lord of the Rings, and just to give you an example of good networking, I introduced myself to this family friend, asked him if he knew anyone who was working on the Da Vinci Code film, he told me his best friend is Ron Howard's producer and there was a chance he could hook me up as a production assistant for the shooting in Paris and Rome. I also introduced myself to a lot of people including the director of the feature film I worked on.

One contact that has served me well is a gentlemen who worked on Hidalgo and several other films for Disney who is also planning on shooting on the Da Vinci Code and may take me along as HIS assistant. So network, network, network. Skills don't hurt either, but like ipodandimac said, if you don't do video, forget it. I am in the process of getting myself certified in Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio, Motion, and Shake. Throw some Photoshop and After Effects on top of that and you have a solid resume. Learn it, live it, breathe it, but don't rely on it, especially in something like the film industry. Storytelling is everything. You can't be a good shooter without knowing how to tell a story, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to be a good editor without knowing how to tell a story. Take a few english classes, shoot, even minor in it if you are in college. An emmy-winning documentary filmmaker friend of mine told me this...

"Anyone can push buttons, but if you know how to tell a story, you've got it 90% made."

I'm only 20 and still in school, and I'm not trying to brag or boast, but if I can do it in bodink Milwaukee, Wisconsin, pretty much anyone can do it. It's great money, and the best part is...it's a LOT of fun if you're good at it.

EDIT: Oh, and I do everything on a loaded 17" Powerbook.

Hey filmmaker2002, thanks for the advice - was pretty interesting. Yeah this whole 'it's who you know' things is pretty much it for everything isn't it!

As you and others have said, the story telling part is what counts so your ideas about classes etc are intersting.

BTW, what certification(s) are you doing for the pro-apps?