Force a user to use short user name @ log-in

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How can I FORCE a user to use their short user name when logging into network file servers?

Example User: Joe Smith

Current Way to log in (which I hate)

1) From the Finder, Joe uses the "Connect to Server" dialog box. He chooses the server, and hits "connect".

2) Joe is presented with a log-in window to authenticate in order to log in to the server. His FULL name "Joe Smith" is pre-populated in the Name field. He puts in his password in the Password field, hits return, chooses the shares he wishes to mount, etc.

My Request:

1) (Same as step 1 above)

2) Joe is presented with a log-in window to authenticate in order to log in to the server. His SHORT name "jsmith" is pre-populated in the Name field. He puts in his password in the Password field, hits return, chooses the shares he wishes to mount, etc.

I have servers that ONLY allow short names. Long story. Users are pissed that that have to BACKSPACE over their conveintly pre-populated full names and have to retype their shortnames. The always forget to do this and they cause a lot of issues. Training them to use a shortname is not working. I would LOVE to figure out how to make the log in windows for servers to use the short name or no name at all. Ideas?

Stats:

Clients: OS X 10.3.4

Servers: OS X Server 10.3.4

I use Active Directory 2003 Domain Controllers for user authentication.

I DONT use Kerberos for AFP Services (yet)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    You could just change their long names to their short names.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by ericeason

You could just change their long names to their short names.

I admin 150+ Mac users who all are bound to Active Directory. I need to modfy how all my Macs log in dialog box behaves.

I cant seem to figure out HOW the Mac seems to pull the user's full long name and populate log in dialog boxes with the data. I dont think I can make any tweaks on the AD side that would change how the Mac behaves. Maybe its in the OS X AD plug in? Or a .plist locally on each Mac? Its really odd. I am totally perplexed.