ram

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
is it best to buy ram and put it into your mac or buy it from apple and let them do it. this is when buying from the online store. also is it cheaper and as good

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    my recommendation: DO NOT BUY RAM FROM APPLE! you can generally buy it way cheaper from places like dealram.com, ramjet.com, etc, etc... apple charges a helluva lot more for ram than other places.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    thanks
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Can someone tell me for certain if all current PB ram is interchangeable?

I have a 12" 133ghz that i installed a 1 gig ram module. It appears I may need to move up to the 17" PB and wonder if that Ram in the 12" will work ok?

Everything I read seems to indicate they are the same, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks
  • Reply 4 of 14
    The RAM for the 17" is DDR PC2700.

The RAM for the 12" is DDR PC2700.

So yes you could take your 1GB Stick of RAM from your 12" PB and put it in the 17" PB and it would work.

islab

If you want some RAM try www.newegg.com they usually have the cheapest RAM around, even cheaper then www.crucial.com most times.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    or go to frys

get kingston ram & a screwdriver

open machine & install
  • Reply 6 of 14
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy RAM?

Ramjet

MacSolutions

Crucial

Any others? Im looking for either positive or negative feedback.

I see that Mac Solutions and Ramjet are both Apple authorized but Ramjet wants $30 more for a 512Mb PC100 than Mac Solutions. I'd pay the extra if its worth it.

Crucial sells a PC133 512MB CL2 for $92

Ramjet sells a PC100 512MB CL2 for $129

Mac Solutions sells a PC100 512MB CL2 for $90

For some reason Crucial is much more expensive for PC100 than the others. They say its OK to put PC133 into a iMac G3DV 400. Funny that Apple doesnt seem to mention this but only says to put in PC100.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Other World Computing

Newegg

ZipZoom Fly

I have purchased or have friends that have purchased from all of these places and they were all excellent service. Newegg is my favorite and I have directed like 5,000 worth of business to them easy... Ram there is great too
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

Other World Computing

Newegg

ZipZoom Fly

I have purchased or have friends that have purchased from all of these places and they were all excellent service. Newegg is my favorite and I have directed like 5,000 worth of business to them easy... Ram there is great too

I have heard some bad things about Other World. The other 2 sites dont seem too Mac friendly but thanks for the links.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    what bad things?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by earthtoandy

what bad things?

That their customer service was bad, bad hard drives, etc.

check epinions.com

It makes me uneasy about them.

I have heard good things about Crucial, but their PC100 512Mb chip is expensive. They only offer the PC133 512Mb chip at a reasonable price.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    hmm we'll see. i was planning on going to them cause i can get the pc2700 sodimm 1gb for 250 bucks, 100 bucks cheaper than the samsung oem, and it has the same stats as well as lifetime replacement.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by earthtoandy

hmm we'll see. i was planning on going to them cause i can get the pc2700 sodimm 1gb for 250 bucks, 100 bucks cheaper than the samsung oem, and it has the same stats as well as lifetime replacement.

check Mac Solutions also, maybe their price is similar
  • Reply 13 of 14
    FYI,

just ordered 1.5GB ram for my new 15" from OWC yesterday. It arrived today. They sent me a piece that my system instead of recognizing it as a 1GB stick, only recognized it as a 512. That was today... they've already shipped me a new stick and it's supposed to be here tomorrow. I just have to hand the bad one to the UPS guy when he comes with the new one.

not to bad as far as customer service is concerned if you ask me.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

FYI,

just ordered 1.5GB ram for my new 15" from OWC yesterday. It arrived today. They sent me a piece that my system instead of recognizing it as a 1GB stick, only recognized it as a 512. That was today... they've already shipped me a new stick and it's supposed to be here tomorrow. I just have to hand the bad one to the UPS guy when he comes with the new one.

not to bad as far as customer service is concerned if you ask me.

Not bad customer service, would have been much better to have received RAM that worked. Sorry, that doesnt make me more likely to order from them!

Incidentally, I emailed Ramjet, Mac Solutions, and Crucial with questions and Crucial was the only one to answer me. To me, that puts Crucial in the lead. They told me that PC133 works fine in the iMacG3.