"Home" and "End" keys mapping?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi. Am wondering if there was any way to change the default behaviour of the "home" and "end" keys?

By default, it goes to the beginning and end of documents, but how often does one actually want to do that? More often, we want to go to the beginning and end of the current line. I know we can do this with "control+left/right" or "command+left/right" but it is much more useful with a single key.

To make matters worst, it behaves differently in different programs too. Among the programs that I have, the ones that behave "correctly" are

- Microsoft Office

- Matlab text editor

Those that behaves "incorrectly"

- Texshop

- Textedit

- Mail

- Safari (in text areas)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    rara Posts: 623member
    Moving to the beginning & end of the line is how Windows behaves; the Mac OS has always moved to the beginning or end of the document. The reason MS Office inherits the Windows behavior is only to make Mac & WIn Office behave more consistently.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you're stuck with the normal Mac behavior (cmd-left & cmd-right to move along the current line of text), unless for some reason an app ignores the way it's supposed to do things.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    OK. Thanks for that. I use a few different types of keyboards and hate how keys work differently. I'll just have to get used to it.