Student nonlinear video lab configuration question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I work at our university?s TV station and we currently have on order two dual 2.5GHz G5?s with 4GB of ram and will be using Final Cut HD and Boris Continuum Complete. Can?t wait for them to arrive?I have been using a Nubus Media 100 since 1995?

It appears that one of the professors copied my specs and submitted them for a student nonlinear lab. He also included the broadcast hardware we needed for input/output of analog video. His total for the request is over $37,000.00. Because of the cost he has only requested one computer! I would like to help them out by suggesting a different configuration. I have a good handle on how to cut costs (about $20,000) by substituting and eliminating much of the extra hardware.

I need a bit of help on the G5 end. If any of you out there are involved in a lab (or just have an opinion) could you please let me know what you are using or what you would recommend?

I am going to suggest that academics lower the horsepower in order to get more stations for the students. I like the following configuration:

1.8GHz PowerPC G5

1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs

80GB Serial ATA drive

17-inch widescreen LCD

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB video memory

Final Cut Express 2 preinstalled

Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

3 year Apple Care Protection Plan

Cost $1,720.00 per computer

This system saves money by getting the 17? monitor but yet it has the higher processor and has been bumped to 1GB of ram. Is this overkill or do we need more? The students who will initially use these systems will probably only be required to create 2 to 10 minute video segments with very little layering or graphics. Considering that the current graphics lab is mostly old G3?s these G5?s will probably need to last at least 5 years.

We were thinking of checking out external Firewire drives so the students could get on any free machine. A server would be nice but it probably is too expensive for now.

In case you need to know the entire lab setup each computer will have the following additional hardware:

Contour Shuttle-Pro 2 NLE Multimedia Controller

JVC TM-2001U 20" Monitor

SR-VS30U Dual Format S-VHS, Pro-DV Recorder/Player

Thank you for your help

Tim Yoder

RSU-TV

Rogers State University

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quite honestly you dont even need G5's if students are only making 10 mintue videos.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I had looked at the EMacs but since these computers will have to stay in service a long time I was concerned that future classes might require more complicated and longer videos.

The G5's could be more flexible over time because of the "user upgradeable" description. It got me thinking that it might be possible to just replace the mother board in a few years and have a better computer for less cost.

I am open to any configuration. What do you think might work?

Thanks.

Tim
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yoder

I had looked at the EMacs but since these computers will have to stay in service a long time I was concerned that future classes might require more complicated and longer videos.

The G5's could be more flexible over time because of the "user upgradeable" description. It got me thinking that it might be possible to just replace the mother board in a few years and have a better computer for less cost.

I am open to any configuration. What do you think might work?

Thanks.

Tim

I think your config is fine except the processors. If longevity is of importance, you really should go for the dual 2.0s. Everything else is fine. I've done extenisve work on a G4 system almost identical to that, and it held up fine. Also, check into extra discounts. If this is for a school, have a school rep call apple and see what kind of deal you can pull. The only other thing I might add is the whole production suite. This is where Apple might give you a good deal. Giving students only FCE isn't a whole lot to grow on. They need color correction, DVD authoring, and motion graphics.

Thats all I can think of for now.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    My suggestions:

Dual processor machines are worth the expense when video editing.

I would also suggest getting more than 1 gig of ram.

If neccessary, buy CRT rather than LCD displays in order to get more than one processor and more than one gig of ram. While LCDs are neat and easier to transport, a faster machine will provide a much more enjoyable experience for your users. Video work can easily be a torturous task or pleasingly simple and smooth. Speed makes all the difference.