Is the Apple Cinema 30" Shipping Yet?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone know?

Where can I find it, where is the cheapest price? Nobody seems to have it in stock.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    n3on3o Posts: 56member
    Not yet, coz nvidia 6800 Ultra has been delayed... \
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Ugh - I'm not even going to run it off that card.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by PocketNines

That card is required to run the display.

Its the only card available with a dual-link DVI connection.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    and for price check the apple website.It would be a miracle if you found an apple product, especially a new one, with much price variation anywhere. they are usually exactly the same prices at all store. $2999. And hell, the website means no sales tax
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by earthtoandy

And hell, the website means no sales tax

Actually, I had to pay sales tax on my powerbook from the Apple website.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

and for price check the apple website.It would be a miracle if you found an apple product, especially a new one, with much price variation anywhere. they are usually exactly the same prices at all store. $2999. And hell, the website means no sales tax

Since Apple has physical locations in all 50 states, so orders from states that have sales tax (I believe NH & OR are the only 2 states w/o sales tax) have sales tax applied if you buy from Apple's store.

If you go to Maconnection.com or macmall.com (or the other mail order .coms), then that's a different story and you'll probably get away w/o paying sales tax. Although you could still be audited by the state you live in and forced to pay the tax you cheesed out of (+ penalty + interest) if the DRS of your state felt so inclined.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    really i didnt know that... i thought the mac site didnt have the tax except for cal residents. i didnt think about the retail locations
  • Reply 8 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

And hell, the website means no sales tax

No, they tax according to where the item is being shipped.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

No, they tax according to where the item is being shipped.

aw...f^^k...do they tax students too?...there goes my budget.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Yes they do. The tax eats into about half of the student discount.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Yes, they tax students as well. Your best bet if you can is to go to a physical Apple store in a state where they don't charge sales tax and buy your hardware there as you can get the student discount on Apple hardware at any Apple store.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

So, PocketNines, what card exactly are you going to run the 30" display with? I'd really like to know.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

Yes, they tax students as well. Your best bet if you can is to go to a physical Apple store in a state where they don't charge sales tax and buy your hardware there as you can get the student discount on Apple hardware at any Apple store.

good call. i was gonna buy online for the sales tax reasons but now i am just gonna go down to the store so i can actually get it right away and still get my discount. thanks for the heads up
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

That card is required to run the display.

Its the only card available with a dual-link DVI connection.

Nvidia's Quadro FX1300 PCIE 128MB

My roommate was at a conference in Los Angeles a little over a month ago and saw the 30" monitor running off a PC with that card. I realize that Apple says the GeForce 6800 is it is the only one that works. The Apple representative also told my roommate to his face that the 30" could only be run off a Mac.

He was discouraged, until he walked over to the Nvidia booth area, and they had dual 30" running off both a PC and a different card.

So I am getting a Media Center HP desktop, the Quadro FX1300 PCIE 128MB card, and hopefully the monitor if they ever ship it.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    and what was the resolution of the screen running on that other card?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Apparently as of the Siggraph conference there are new drivers that support this card for even higher resolution than the max resolution of the 30" HD (2560x1600).

The key is that Apple, for obvious reasons, isn't interested in letting it be known that the 30" monitor can be run off a PC with a different card than the GeForce 6800.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Yeah, they'll only mention that once they have fulfilled all the orders from Mac owners who want one - then and only then will they be after PC owner's money.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Nvidia's Quadro FX1300 PCIE 128MB

My roommate was at a conference in Los Angeles a little over a month ago and saw the 30" monitor running off a PC with that card. I realize that Apple says the GeForce 6800 is it is the only one that works. The Apple representative also told my roommate to his face that the 30" could only be run off a Mac.

He was discouraged, until he walked over to the Nvidia booth area, and they had dual 30" running off both a PC and a different card.

So I am getting a Media Center HP desktop, the Quadro FX1300 PCIE 128MB card, and hopefully the monitor if they ever ship it.

Apples and Oranges!

Quadro FX 1300

Memory Size 128MB

Memory Interface 256-bit

Graphics Memory Bandwidth 17.6GB/sec.

Graphics Bus PCI Express

6800 Ultra

Graphics Core 256-bit

Memory Interface 256-bit

Memory Bandwidth 35.2 GB/sec.

Fill Rate 6.4 billion texels/sec.

Vertices per Second 600 Million

Memory Data Rate 1100 MHz

Pixels per Clock (peak) 16

Textures per Pixel* 16

RAMDACs 400 MHz
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I am reporting what my roommate saw at the Siggraph conference.

The Nvidia people were running the 30" monitor (two actually) off an FX 3000 at the conference back in early August. They told him that the FX series will run the monitor and that the issue is the drivers that will support the resolution.

The differences you cite go toward things like rendering and higher end graphics functions. So, for those kind of tasks, you might need the GeForce card. I am not going to do any of that stuff for my usage.

I simply want the high 2560x1600 resolution, which there are now support drivers for the FX 1300 card.

Eventually, I will get the monitor. I will then report back here the results for using the graphics card I mentioned and the PC.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    PocketNines,

I did not know that! This could be really cool! Please update this thread once you've been able to try the 30" display with that PC video card.