iMac G5 manual is pubilshed

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Interesting that on the 'parts you can install yourself' part, they list this as one of them:

"Mid-plane assembly (contains the main logic board, the G5 processor, fans, NVIDIA graphics processor, and so forth)."

Seems to me, if providing Mid-plane assembly upgrades wasn't a consideration, they wouldn't list it as a component you can install yourself. That is to say, if it couldn't/would never be upgradable, why would anyone ever need to install one themselves?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

Interesting that on the 'parts you can install yourself' part, they list this as one of them:

"Mid-plane assembly (contains the main logic board, the G5 processor, fans, NVIDIA graphics processor, and so forth)."

Seems to me, if providing Mid-plane assembly upgrades wasn't a consideration, they wouldn't list it as a component you can install yourself. That is to say, if it couldn't/would never be upgradable, why would anyone ever need to install one themselves?

Scenario #1 (favored by those who want to trash Apple because they chose the graphics card they did): The only reason the logic board can be replaced is in case it fails. Replacement will be limited to whatever came in your original G5 iMac - forever.

Scenario #2 (favored by those who think Apple has a master plan that includes making money off of upgrades): When Apple comes out with revisions to its logic board, current iMac users will be able to swap out their current one for the new one; allowing for an upgrade path for the CPU & GPU. Said upgrade path will be offered at a price premium; more expensive than it is worth, but less expensive than buying a new iMac.

I favor scenario #2, but I've always been an optimist!

Apple has said nothing about the possibility of swapping future technology into current G5 iMacs; but, then, they never talk about such stuff until it is released.

There is a third scenario; where third-party suppliers provide logic board replacements. This seems far more complicated than ripping out an old G3 and slapping in a newer G4, but I suppose it is possible.