question about my G4 450

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
thats right i bought this when teh were first released it has a 16mb graphics ati card, 27gb hard drive, dvd ram, 256mb, and its runnign at 450 because thats what it was shipped at, but as i recall when apple first announced the g4's they had a 500mhz one but never shipped it in teh first batch just the 450 as the top end so is it possible for me to over clock my power mac g4 450 to somethign higher like 600 or something? does anyone know what the model is of this processor is also? like the current ones are like 7450's or something. thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    You probly won't be able to overclock that model for the reason you mention in your own post. Apple couldn't get them to 500MHz, so 600 migh be out of the ballpark. If you do get up to 600MHz, take a picure of it and your middle finger, then sent it to Motarola.

You *can* buy an upgrade card, but that'll cost ya.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think all the earlier G4s were 7400s.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by wally winchell:

<strong>thats right i bought this when teh were first released it has a 16mb graphics ati card, 27gb hard drive, dvd ram, 256mb, and its runnign at 450 because thats what it was shipped at, but as i recall when apple first announced the g4's they had a 500mhz one but never shipped it in teh first batch just the 450 as the top end so is it possible for me to over clock my power mac g4 450 to somethign higher like 600 or something? does anyone know what the model is of this processor is also? like the current ones are like 7450's or something. thanks!</strong><hr></blockquote>

i have that exact machine and because of the "erata" problem as i remember.. when the chip was at 500mhz and up there were massive errors...you could possibly get it up to 495 or somthin but nothing past 500.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    oh yeah? alright that sucks. haha oh well. would my g4 run alot better with jaguar on it 10.2? im running os 9.2.2 now, and i hate it. haha.

is theyre anything else besides adding more ram to it that i can make it run faster at all?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I'd say the most overlooked upgrade is the hard drive. A good HD like the Western Digital 120JB (or 80JB if you don't need all the space) would speed things up a little if you do a lot of disk inensive work. If I remember right the orginal G4s had low end Quantums in there.