Lost data/Outlook Express update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

Stupid me. Updated Outlook Express but clicked too quickly thro' the sequence. New version lacks contents of Address Book, previous received and sent emails..

Are they still somewhere on my HD?.Can I retrieve them? If so, how?

All help gratefully received.

Peace

eric j

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eric j

Hi,

Stupid me. Updated Outlook Express but clicked too quickly thro' the sequence. New version lacks contents of Address Book, previous received and sent emails..

Are they still somewhere on my HD?.Can I retrieve them? If so, how?

All help gratefully received.

Peace

eric j

Do you mean by "new" the old Outlook Express 5.0.6 for Mac OS 8.1 to 9.x? I would do a search for folders with names like "main identity" or whatever other identities you created. In there you may still find the older versions of your Messages, Mailing Lists, etc. files. I've always found the Identity folders in Documents/Microsoft User Data/Identities. It also depends on the version you updated from.

Lemme know if this helps any.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Hi bergz,

Thanks for your reply. I think I have located some of those files. Problem is, I am scared to try importing them. Afraid I will lose the addresses I have meantime found from other sources.

IMHO, computers are so d*****d unforgiving. One small careless click and you are in the jungle. I am an engineer, so not unfamiliar with technology, but the Industry seems to have forgotten the old acronym "K I S S "

Peace

eric j
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eric j

Hi bergz,

Thanks for your reply. I think I have located some of those files. Problem is, I am scared to try importing them. Afraid I will lose the addresses I have meantime found from other sources.

IMHO, computers are so d*****d unforgiving. One small careless click and you are in the jungle. I am an engineer, so not unfamiliar with technology, but the Industry seems to have forgotten the old acronym "K I S S "

Peace

eric j

Make a copy of both the old and the new files before you try importing. That way, if the combo leaves the new or the old out, you can "revert" if you will.

--B