Mail suddenly quits in 10.2.6

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a friend who has 10.2.6, and can't run Mail or Address book. Both suddenly quit during start-up. He doesn't want to upgrade to 10.2.8 because he uses Pro-tools for work and is in the middle of a job, and doesn't want to mess things up. I've tried repairing permissions to no avail, and have tried googling the problem as well. Has anyone heard of a problem like this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

I have a friend who has 10.2.6, and can't run Mail or Address book. Both suddenly quit during start-up. He doesn't want to upgrade to 10.2.8 because he uses Pro-tools for work and is in the middle of a job, and doesn't want to mess things up. I've tried repairing permissions to no avail, and have tried googling the problem as well. Has anyone heard of a problem like this?

almost always spoiled prefs and/or cache files. Put these cache/pref files to the trash bin. Done.

To do so:

(1)

go to ~library/Caches

trash them completely

log ou and in

If that doesn't fix the prob than:

(2)

go to ~library/preferences

pick up "com.apple.mail.plist" and "com.apple.AdressBook.plist" and drag it to the trash bin.

Perhaps that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    thanks man, I'll give that a shot.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    a little warning in advance

If you trash the mail prefs, than you probably have to type this whole account data thing again the very first time you launch the mail.app. But your entire data (mails etc) is there of course, so don't worry.

good luck

after the protools job is done i'd highly recommend to update to 10.3
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I have been having the same problem with my MAIL program... every time an email slips through the spam filter and ends up in the JUNK folder, I find it (sometimes) and as I try to place it into another folder, the whole app crashes (qiuts) and I need to relaunch it....I have tried everything I know (not much) to resolve this to NO avail.....I have repeatedly re-set the Junk mail filter and tried to retrain the filter but it still crashes ...it's driving me crazy!!

I you figure this out PLEASE forward the fix to me.

Thanks