Fortran on OSX

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What do I have to do, to be able to write, debug and compile FORTRAN code on OSX. In my course they use Force 2.0 on Windows.

Is there any working free alternative for the Mac? I've found some expensive ones: IBM XL and Absoft. The onlyone that seems to be free is g77 (it works with Xcode, doesn't it?), but I can't get fink to install it for me. Can someone give me a link to a ready-to-install package of g77.

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

I got the open-source g95 to install OK, but couldn't get it to properly link the source I was trying to compile.

The trial version of IBM's XLF worked great, and integrates into Xcode, but it's only a trial. I think it's 90-day limited, so that might be fine for your course.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thank you for pointing me to the IBM trial. It's a little bit to short, since it's 60 days and I'll need it till december. I will try it later..

I've installed g77 from your link. Now, how do I tell Xcode to to use g77?

(I'm new to programming and especially Xcode)

thank you
  • Reply 3 of 3
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

Now, how do I tell Xcode to to use g77?

(I'm new to programming and especially Xcode)

thank you

I have no idea. XLF came with instructions in its manual on how to set up Xcode; you might try taking a look at those and see if they can apply to g77, too. Otherwise, google away.

I actually haven't used Xcode too much. Most of my limited programming experience is with small programs that I compile and run from the command line. I can tell you that g77 was pretty simple to use from the command line.