The Perfect iMac G5 Desk

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey All,

I'm planning on purchasing an iMac G5 in the near future, and have a particular desk in mind to compliment it. Below is a mock-up of what I'm envisioning. Anyone know where I can find something like this? Note the oddly-shaped top to accommodate the keyboard and mouse. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know. Thanks in advance! - Cory

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    That desk is SWEEET I want one . Me likey. ....You have a great eye for design, if you find one let me know
  • Reply 2 of 11
    But where's the computer?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by O4BlackWRX

That desk is SWEEET I want one . Me likey. ....You have a great eye for design, if you find one let me know

Thanks! I'm going through pages and pages of Google searches right now. What I'm really looking to do is have the iMac's back face out into the room (and thusly myself as well), so the desk has to have a small enough footprint (and a round design) to accommodate that. The back of the iMac is just so beautiful, it'd be a shame for it to spend it's entire life facing a wall
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

But where's the computer?

It's Hiding

Here's the closest match I've found so far, though I'm not sure it's deep enough to fit both the iMac and keyboard comfortably:

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/93?s=b!!b_id=17

This one's ok, though it's spendy and I would prefer one leg so it's easy to turn around (for watching movies in bed!):

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/2498

Lastly, this is the coolest desk ever, but it's only a concept design and the designer guesses it would cost $500-$800 if it actually existed:

http://artshole.co.uk/johntreby.htm

Guess I'll have to keep looking, but thought I'd share those with y'all.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    It looks kind of cool, but the desk here is one of those form over function deals.

1) knees bang the center pole

2) extremely small

3) doesn't really fit anywhere unless you have matching funiture.

Just get a nice, big desk like the rest of us. Big desks are the best.

The imaginary iDesk is cool, but I swear, it reminds me of Johnny5.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Better. Get a comfy recliner chair. Mount the iMac via a VESA mount onto a swing arm. Use wireless keyboard, wireless mouse on side table. Voila.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It looks kind of cool, but the desk here is one of those form over function deals.

1) knees bang the center pole

2) extremely small

3) doesn't really fit anywhere unless you have matching funiture.

Just get a nice, big desk like the rest of us. Big desks are the best.

The imaginary iDesk is cool, but I swear, it reminds me of Johnny5.

Johnny 5 is alive! I've had a huge desk for some time, and I plan on keeping it for drawing and paperwork. I'd like to have my iMac void of clutter, and having a desk only large enough to hold the computer will make sure of that. My poor G4 iMac is surrounded by mail, loose change, car keys, etc. so I want to separate my computer from my daily "junk". I'm sure others can relate.

I have long legs so I'd be less likely to bang my knees on a single center pole than I do on the side panels of a standard desk. And the look would go well with my Ikea furniture. By the way, I've checked Ikea a couple times and haven't found anything quite what I'm looking for.

Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Better. Get a comfy recliner chair. Mount the iMac via a VESA mount onto a swing arm. Use wireless keyboard, wireless mouse on side table. Voila.

The iMac will be primarily in my bedroom, so there isn't really room for a big chair. Also, given the iMac's small footprint and using Airport Express, I anticipate moving to other rooms of the house on occasion (watch tv while surfing the web, for example). Mounting the iMac to an arm wouldn't allow that. Not to say that wouldn't be an awesome setup though. I think making their displays and iMac's VESA mountable is one of the smartest things Apple's done with their Mac hardware lately.

Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

from Anthro:

http://www.anthro.com/_SP_iCartII.asp

That's damn close to what I'm looking for, except the $400 price puts it way out of the question. Definitely the right idea though. My only concern with that desk is there doesn't appear to be quite enough space to comfortably use a mouse and have the keyboard centered in front of the computer. I'm going to keep looking. Hopefully I can find a poor man's equivalent to this one. Thanks!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

That's damn close to what I'm looking for, except the $400 price puts it way out of the question. Definitely the right idea though.

As I've found, good furniture costs good money. You might be better served looking for bar tables or other types of tables rather than desks. Alternatively, there's a black thing for $30 I saw at Walmart that isn't too far from what you want.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    g2gg2g Posts: 39member
    You could always get a finish carpenter to build one ....and have your own specs ...!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Well this might not be of much help depending on where you live, but there are couple of Finnish furniture companies that make desks which might suit your needs.

One is called Promo by Martela (http://www.martela.com). It's height adjustable and it looks like you can have a variety of desktops (shapes and materials).

Here are a few direct links (don't you hate frames):

The other series is Logo Lift by Puustelli http://www.logo-office.com/

Again a direct link:

I don't know how much they cost or how widely they are available...

-- Bozonator