Cool PCMA cards for Powerbooks

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm starting this thread to help Powerbook owners discover the hardly known, hardly mentioned PC cards that can be used with our Powerbooks.

This is to highlight the Type 2 or 3 cards that do things OTHER than add ports (USB 1 or 2, Firewire 400/800, ethernet, modem). We all know about those, they are publicized to death.

I'll go first: A PC card that adds GPS to a Powerbook.

http://mightygps.com/pcmciacard.htm

I'm personally looking for a tv and or radio card.

Anyone know of cool PC cards that add something to a Powerbook, share with the class, post a link.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Um. . . WifI?

I'm still waiting for verizon wireless internet to be compatible.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Wifi?

Not a big deal or needed when newer PB buyers get Airport Extreme included on the 15" and 17" models.

Althought some PC card based 802.11g have better range...

Anyone else?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    My $10 CF PC card works great

WOAH I could get a CF GPS card that should work according to that link!!!

do you know if they have decent OS X support?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    there used to be a card that added a secondary video to the wallstreet powerbooks, some company also released a card that just sucked air out of the laptop. Those are the only type III cards i can think of, and since all the powerbooks since the wallstreet have only had one pcmcia card slot, there isn't too much of a market for type III cards anymore.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    http://www.bernclare.com/tvtogo.htm

A PC card that has a built in NTSC tuner that is cable and satelite ready and allows for video capture.

Although the product is discontinued...it is I'm told, available on ebay occasionally and there is hope other vendors have a similar product!

A start.

Guess nobody on these forums think adding functionality to their Powerbooks is important.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have a little PCMCIA caddy for compact flash cards. I can take the compact flash card out of my camera and stick it in my PCMCIA slot using the caddy. The caddy was cheap, works like a charm, and copies photos far faster than my camera's USB cable.