Futura

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm building the website with the font Futura, is there any way for a Windows computer to download this font, exactly the same as the one thats on my mac so they can see the same font.

Do you know where it can be downloaded?

Thanks

ijmac

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yes, Futura is a nice font. However, it is standard practice to design sites with just three TYPES of fonts in mind. These are:

Serif Fonts: These fonts typically have small ornamentations (called serifs) on them. These fonts include Times, Times New Roman, Palatino, Garamond, etc.)

San-Seris Fonts: Student of French will know that this means fonts WITHOUT serifs. These fonts include: Arial, Verdana, and Futura.

Fixed-Width fonts: These give each character the same amount of space. Useful for displaying code, or non formatted data. These include: Courier, Monaco and VT100.

The reason you can't specify Futura or have someone's browser download the font automaically, is that these fonts are not free. Essentially, if you don't have it on your computer, you have to pay for it.

Also, requiring someone to download and install a font (not an automatic process) just so that your site looks the way you want isn't nice to the people coming to your web page.

Sorry for the mini-lesson,

Composer
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You could use it in photoshop and save it as an image so they don't have to have the font. This won't work too well if you want to use it for all the text on the page though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Yeah, aside from headers and other text that you can afford to make an image, you're at the mercy of whatever the user has on their machine. You can still call out the preferred font in case they do have it, just like how this forum prefers Lucida Grande, but you can't really force the issue. You could point this out about your page, that it looks best with Futura installed, maybe even provide a link to a page to purchase the font, but it's like bringing a horse to water.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijmac

I'm building the website with the font Futura, is there any way for a Windows computer to download this font, exactly the same as the one thats on my mac so they can see the same font.

Do you know where it can be downloaded?

Futura Book $23-$30 a pop.

As mentioned you can use an image-as-text for heading and the like with proper alt text of course. But if you need it for body text in general the best that can be done is favor that font family with a style sheet.

Of course both Flash and PDFs can have embedded fonts. Why not right?