Microsoft vs. Apple's site...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I was in my web design class today... we were learning about the DOCTYPE tag...

The instructor decided to give us an example of it so we went to Microsoft's web site. MWHAHAAHAH- check out the source on their page! What a mess!

There was no DOCTYPE to be found (unless it was further down the ever horizontal scrolling doc...

Then the instructor took a jaunt over my favorite companies site- apple. What did we find? The DOCTYPE tag right where it's supposed to go! Also the rest of the code looks a lot more organized than Microsoft's does.

Just thought this was funny.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Wow! MS's source code is wretched! I could never work on a site like that without first cleaning it up a lot...

I got motion sickness from just side scrolling so much...I need my Cinema display just to code for MS....

lol
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

So I was in my web design class today... we were learning about the DOCTYPE tag...

The instructor decided to give us an example of it so we went to Microsoft's web site. MWHAHAAHAH- check out the source on their page! What a mess!

There was no DOCTYPE to be found (unless it was further down the ever horizontal scrolling doc...

Then the instructor took a jaunt over my favorite companies site- apple. What did we find? The DOCTYPE tag right where it's supposed to go! Also the rest of the code looks a lot more organized than Microsoft's does.

Just thought this was funny.

ya microsoft sucks. at everything (except office).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    It's highly likely that the site (or at least the front) is entirely database driven, which means that you use a basic template (maybe in one DB table), insert content from other database tables and it all gets pumped to the browser in a condensed form. There's no reason for the code to be human readable/pretty. No one at microsoft is sitting down and opening up a static html page to change content. They might even have an internal only output mode so they can debug the source in a pretty view.

That's not to say their code doesn't suck for a million other reasons. I'm sure it does.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I was over at the MS site a few days ago (had to get WMP9 fpr Mac), and boy does it suck. I just love the simpleness and ease of Apple's site... much like it's OS really.

iDunno.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

I was over at the MS site a few days ago (had to get WMP9 fpr Mac), and boy does it suck. I just love the simpleness and ease of Apple's site... much like it's OS really.

iDunno.

That being true and all, don't you guy's think the tab'ed top of the apple frontpage is ready for a re-haul? Most of the rest of the site has been modernized, and the new pro-pages (motion and stuff), looks so much more refined and up-to-date.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

That being true and all, don't you guy's think the tab'ed top of the apple frontpage is ready for a re-haul? Most of the rest of the site has been modernized, and the new pro-pages (motion and stuff), looks so much more refined and up-to-date.

I could not agree with this more! I was photoshoppping (verb: to photoshop) the front page of the apple site the other night, and all I could think was, "man this front page is daggy!"

iDunno
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Yeah, they need to think of something cool. They've had that basic design (with GUI enhancements) for quite some time now..