moving my home folder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi all,

so, I am migrating from one mac (iMac) to another (PB) as my main computer. Ideally, I would like the new PB to have the same Mail, iTunes, settings, etc as the old one. Can I just use firewire target disk mode to move my user folder into "Users" on the new computer? Or will things go horribly wrong if I try that?

Thanks,

Fish

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You can't drag your whole user folder over and replace the one that's there already. What you do is copy over the folders within your User folder, for example, Documents, Library, and if you need to, your Music, Pictures etc. Then you should be able to reboot and the Mac OS will use your new prefs etc.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You should be able to use the recently(-ish) added feature of the Mac setup program to transfer files programs and settings directly. It should be in the Mac OS X Set Up assistant, and it has full instructions included.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

You can't drag your whole user folder over and replace the one that's there already. What you do is copy over the folders within your User folder, for example, Documents, Library, and if you need to, your Music, Pictures etc. Then you should be able to reboot and the Mac OS will use your new prefs etc.

A simple logout/in is sufficient
  • Reply 4 of 4
    check www.macosxhints.com If you're willing to use the terminal and the NetInfo Manager a bit, you can manipulate the user structure any way you'd like, just as OS X server can.

I have a machine with a hardware RAID (file server for just 3 people, but the files are big), and I moved the user folders to the RAID. It works nicely. Just make sure if you do this to disable auto-login, since if you're playing around, or if your disk dies, your mac will make blank user folders in the default locations if it can't find the "new" ones.