my friend got free ram from apple...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Wow... I am still wondering completely why they did it. But my friend and I went to the apple store near us, where he purchaed a 14" ibook, ipod (for the cram and jam deal), and then this is where it got interesting. The apple employee said since it is near the end of the fiscal year, if he bought apple care, he would throw in 512mb of apple ram. So my friend gave in and got it, what a deal? I wonder if anyone else got this deal as well?

Also, they had a 20" imac g5 on display. I played around with it for a while, the in store copy had 512mb of ram, it ran pretty dang fast, but the graphics was somewhat choppy for itunes... The visualizer in full screen ran at 40-50 fps, but it was a bit choppy, it jumped every 5 seconds. Kinda strange...

The speakers are very very soft, even on full it is quieter then my 12" powerbook's speakers. But other than that it's perfect, well besides the fact that the apple logo on the front should glow white It seriously looks like it should! the logo is a slight grey, like the logo on a powerbook or ibook, so it looked as if it should glow

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    See, service plans are almost 100% profit. That's why they are pushed so hard, and that's why I almost never buy them. It's like gambling in Las Vegas. You know the company rigs the prices and odds on their sides, and chances are you will lose. That's why I never buy an extended service plan... sure it's a gamble, but I'll play the odds.

Of course, a lot of my bias comes from working retail for four years of my life. There is nothing more important to the store than those numbers.

And, it also has to do with corporate vs. local earnings. The local store makes so much of a commission on the service plan, that I would imagine it's better for them to give away the RAM and get the commission.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

See, service plans are almost 100% profit. That's why they are pushed so hard, and that's why I almost never buy them. It's like gambling in Las Vegas. You know the company rigs the prices and odds on their sides, and chances are you will lose. That's why I never buy an extended service plan... sure it's a gamble, but I'll play the odds.

I share a similar sentiment with you, I always reject those ridiculous best buy service plans...etc. However, I *am* wishing I had got applecare on my iPod, which broke recently, and is not covered by the limited warranty.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I actually think service warranties on portable products is a must, particularly if you travel overseas a lot. They just get exposed to too much even if they are handled carefully. Desktops I figure if it'll die from fault it'll happen or show effects in the first year.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I say it's a must as well, since I am now on my 2nd powerbook, and it is in the repair shop again for a second lcd screen and a trackpad replacment, also on 7th ipod.

So I definitely got my money's worth in warranty repairs, so far the total replacment/repairs of my powerbook and ipod comes to 3699 dollars without tax. So spending 300 dollars for warranty is worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Sage Mac advice.

If it books it cooks, it if laptops it flops.

If it tops desk, put mind to rest.

Meaning? AppleCare for all portables. Unless you are rich. Then AppleCare for the whole family. (your sister's eMac too)