ShapeShifter application... grrrr

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, so I downloaded ShapeShifter just to test it out for a little while. After using it for five minutes, I decided I didn't want it anymore, and that I should delete it. So I tried. And it won't go away! I can't make this program leave! And what's worse is that now it's "spamming" my computer from the inside. Every hour or so, my screen flashes to say "Please register ShapeShifter! Send us $20!!"

Can anybody please please help me make this program go away?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Gee I have no idea.

http://www.unsanity.com/support.php?...p=shapeshifter

Quote:

How can I uninstall ShapeShifter?

The best way to get rid of ShapeShifter is to use the built-in uninstaller. Double-click the "ShapeShifter Installer" icon and click on the "Uninstall" button (the installer will move all ShapeShifter files to the Trash - it will never actually delete any files on your system).

Finally, log out and then log back in to complete the process.

OR

ShapeShifter Preference Panel: HELP button: (Also in the Read Me that it comes with)

Quote:

To uninstall, either:

1) Double-click the "ShapeShifter Installer" icon and click on the "Uninstall" button (the installer will move all ShapeShifter files to the Trash - it will never actually delete any files on your system).

(OR)

2) Remove the file named "ShapeShifter.prefPane" from the Library/PreferencePanes folder in your home directory and the file "ShapeShifter.ape" from the Library/Application Enhancers folder in your home directory.

So I guess there is no answer, so PANIC!!!!

I assume you only deleted the ShapeShifter.prefPane and not the ShapeShifter.ape in 2 above.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Ah ha. Well, thank you for your response.

I had a little secure trash emptying par-tay with the shapeshifter.ape file invited, so I'm hoping that takes care of the matter. Sigh... I suppose I'll find out whether I was successful or not tomorrow morning when my computer wakes up.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Oh and the APE manager Preference pane (that unsanity haxies require and install) has information tabs for each installed haxie, which basically shows the read me with uninstall info for each one). Might want to uninstall APE Manager while you're at it if you have no other haxies running.

ShapeShifter is one of few that actually have uninstall right in the pref pane itself.

Just remember Occam's Razor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_Razor