New Bose/iPod playback system posted by mistake on Apple site

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I saw something odd yesterday (Monday Sep 20)

I was briefly at Apple's website around 4pm EDT, and on the opening page I saw a very cool Bose device with an iPod dock in the front,

It listed for $299.

I was busy and didn't look for more than 5 seconds.

Went back last night to learn more, but any info about this product was gone.

Nothing on the Bose site either.

I just remember this playback device seemed right on target to complement the attractive design of the iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Bose speakers for the PC are ugly. The are not as good as the creative inspire series with a subwoofer either. I am skeptical about this.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    That new Bose SoundDock audio system for the iPod was announced during Apple Expo in Paris a couple of weeks ago. It believe it was mentioned during Phil's keynote address, as well as the new JBL device.

It will be (if not already) available at the Apple Store starting next month. And, I agree, it looks and will probably sound great with an iPod.

In fact, it is already on display at the online Apple Store under iPod accessories... from Apple Store:

"Bose SoundDock Digital Music System

$299.00

Rich. Room-filling sound\tfrom your iPod? Ahh, the power of the new Bose SoundDock digital music system. It brings your music to life and even charges your iPod while it plays. Supports iPods with Dock Connector.

Learn more about this product"

Bose SoundDock Picture
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I could not get that link to work. Gives:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /fotos/bose-sounddock.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

However, try http://www.ipodnoticias.com/fotos/ and then select bose-sounddock.jpg

(It worked for me )
  • Reply 4 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nightjar2

I saw something odd yesterday (Monday Sep 20)

I was briefly at Apple's website around 4pm EDT, and on the opening page I saw a very cool Bose device with an iPod dock in the front,

It listed for $299.

Wanna see it?

Just visit: http://store.apple.com/

It's as big as life and no secret. You might have to refresh a few times but it's in the image rotation at the top of that page.

Also just search the store for: "Bose SoundDock"

Dave
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yes, this Bose product is now officially at the Apple Store site.

Monday's blip might have been some web prep that squirted out a day too soon.

Like that has ever happened before...

The new JBL iPod playback device is there now too. Looks like it can't have too impressive of a sound, but who knows.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Sorry, not to sound elitist, but I HATE bose products.

I listened to their top-of-the-line direct-reflecting speakers some time ago and the sound was so horrible I couldn't believe they were selling them for over $1,200.

People should really listen to good speakers from Totem, Spica, Linn, or Energy. Go to your local hi-end sound dealer and ask to listen to some of the above mentioned brands. I know they're all expensive but you will get an idea of what really good 'sound' is like.

cheers,

• Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

Sorry, not to sound elitist, but I HATE bose products.

I listened to their top-of-the-line direct-reflecting speakers some time ago and the sound was so horrible I couldn't believe they were selling them for over $1,200.

People should really listen to good speakers from Totem, Spica, Linn, or Energy. Go to your local hi-end sound dealer and ask to listen to some of the above mentioned brands. I know they're all expensive but you will get an idea of what really good 'sound' is like.

cheers,

Not to sound adversarial, but I try to reserve my strong opinions until I've heard the item in question.

And I try to judge a product within the realm of it's intended application and price point.

This Bose SoundDock is more suited for casual/convenient listening.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm not sure if paying $299 for this bose system is for 'casual listening.'

My point was exactly that: to listen to a good set of monitors so you can judge what TRUE good sound, sounds like. You'll find that in general, bose products are subpar for sound. Of course that is MHO so everyone should listen on their own.

I would rather spend around $225 and get a pair of Etymotics er-4s in-the-ear headphones - incredible sound!

cheers,

Quote:

Originally posted by nightjar2

Not to sound adversarial, but I try to reserve my strong opinions until I've heard the item in question.

And I try to judge a product within the realm of it's intended application and price point.

This Bose SoundDock is more suited for casual/convenient listening.