LaCie d2 120gig firewire HD

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone used this hard drive with a Quicksilver 2002 or Mirror Drive Door Powermac?

I was in an Apple Store this morning and they had one hooked up to a dual 1gig Powermac, it looks very cool and feels very solid.

The question is, is it fast? and can any external hard drive be as fast as an internal HD at the same RPM?

I ordered the WD Special Edition 120gig internal HD with the 8mb buffer but if this is close in speed I'd change and get it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I have a 60 gig Lacie Firewire HD, 7200 RPM.... i have noticed no problem whatsoever tracking in ProTools with this drive. Very fast, reliable (at least so far the past 5 months ive had it) and i imagine the 120 gig can only be faster (more data in same space)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Don't waste your money giving LaCie 61 more dollars than you paid for your WD 120 SE. That's how much more you need to spend to duplicate what you saw in the Store. You can forget how cool it looks ? you're never going to lay eyes on it once you start working.

Sure the external is almost as fast as inside. But why bother spending the extra money to put it outside?

Seriously, just put the WD inside your QuickSilver and be happy.

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by TommyBrando:

<strong>I have a 60 gig Lacie Firewire HD, 7200 RPM.... i have noticed no problem whatsoever tracking in ProTools with this drive. Very fast, reliable (at least so far the past 5 months ive had it) and i imagine the 120 gig can only be faster (more data in same space)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was also looking at this drive for my iBook since I only have a very cramped 15GB. Also I could do easy massive file sharing between my PC and MAC.

I like the looks of the drive but I was wondering if it was very loud? I sure love the dead-silent iBook and Im now converting my 'slightly-noisy' PC to near silent. I heard the EZQuest outboard firewire drives were quite noisy but have not heard anything about the laCie d2 series.

any d2 owners out there care to comment?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    [quote]Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie:

<strong>I like the looks of the drive but I was wondering if it was very loud? I sure love the dead-silent iBook and Im now converting my 'slightly-noisy' PC to near silent. I heard the EZQuest outboard firewire drives were quite noisy but have not heard anything about the laCie d2 series.

any d2 owners out there care to comment?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got the 60 GB d2 FW HD a couple of weeks ago. It's very quiet. So quiet that it sounds like it doesn't have a fan. Part of the reason I bought the new one is that the previous-generation LaCie FW HD was said to be quite loud.

So far I love the d2. One glitch: the documentation said it has an autosensing feature that powers down the drive when you shut down the computer. That doesn't work for me; the drive stays running. Not a big deal, though.

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: CaseCom ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yes, the previous industrial design of the LaCie drives was very loud. I have a 60GB version and I hate to use it attached to my VERY silent iMac G3. I have one of the new 120GB version on order and I know it is A LOT quieter, after seeing it (and barely hearing it) at the Apple Store near me.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by CaseCom:

<strong>

I got the 60 GB d2 FW HD a couple of weeks ago. It's very quiet. So quiet that it sounds like it doesn't have a fan. Part of the reason I bought the new one is that the previous-generation LaCie FW HD was said to be quite loud.

So far I love the d2. One glitch: the documentation said it has an autosensing feature that powers down the drive when you shut down the computer. That doesn't work for me; the drive stays running. Not a big deal, though.

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: CaseCom ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im sold if its silent! I can see a D2 in my future for sure.

thanks case