Ratio of Resumes Sent to Job Interviews

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well I have finally decided that I hate my job enough that I really should start looking for a new one.

What should I expect as a ratio between number of resumes I send out to the number of job interviews I get? What is typical?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 2 of 14
    Depends on what you do. What are your skills?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Have you thought about getting a head hunter?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

20:1 or worse. Don't be discouraged.

That's about right for where I work. We'll pick out the number one person and fly them in if we have to. We do draw people from all over the world.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Have you thought about getting a head hunter?

No I never have. Where do I find one? Yellow pages?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Depends on what you do. What are your skills?

I would love to get into programming (I've done some cool projects at work). My background is essentially Laboratory Data Systems (Informatics).

One of my problems, is my current job title of "Associate Scientist". I think when HR departments are scanning incoming resumes, they immediately toss my in the trash.

I have a science degree (Forensic Chemistry) and my skill set is primarily limited to lab systems.

So I am kinda in a pickle and not sure what I should be doing.

Any advice?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    It's a specialized enough job to warrant a sci/tech headhunter.

Might want to spend some time on monster.com or other jobs sites to see what the market is like.

Higheredjobs.com specializes in teaching jobs mostly, but there are some research positions.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

No I never have. Where do I find one? Yellow pages?

Depends on your profession. Try online. If you're ex-military Bradley Morris could help you out. My last job I got via a head hunter. I e-mailed him my resume' a week later I got a call asking If I was ready for some phone interviews. I was I talked to a few companies. I interviewd with perhaps a dozen big companies: Cat, Bose, Motorola, Abbott labs, etc. I flown to onsight interviews for six companies. I followed up with two, and chose one. The process took about a month and I got a pretty good job in the end. I didn't like the job a year later but that's beside the point.

You might be able to find a local recruiter in your yellow pages. Look under professional job placement or the like.

Sorry I couldn't give you a direct link--it's been a couple of years since I last worked. I'm in school so I'm not 'actively' looking. Oh, call your local Universtiy and see if they can help? Most Uni's keep list of professional head hunters on file. Tell'em your a student if they ask--all fair in employment and war is what I say.

Good luck with the search. Hope you find meaningful employment soon. Also, if you're prepared to move, nation-wide hunter's can more easily place you into a fitting job.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

I would love to get into programming (I've done some cool projects at work). My background is essentially Laboratory Data Systems (Informatics).

One of my problems, is my current job title of "Associate Scientist". I think when HR departments are scanning incoming resumes, they immediately toss my in the trash.

I have a science degree (Forensic Chemistry) and my skill set is primarily limited to lab systems.

So I am kinda in a pickle and not sure what I should be doing.

Any advice?

Do you have an official job description? Do you have a lot of work experience or is this your first job after college? If this is your first career you might want to put your education experience above your work experience on your resume'. Highlight your most outstanding bullet point and put that first. Don't bother with an objective statement because EVERYBODY has an objective and they are all the same. I've read 100's of resume's and I've seen less than a handfull of unique objective statements.

Write a good cover letter. Don't just send a resume'. Find a few dozen places you want to work for and write individual cover letters for each. Make sure the reader knows you have researched the company and are enthusiasic about being employed there. Write a good form cover letter--this should take days to BTW if not longer--for the other 200 resume's you send out. Have your resume's printed at Kinkos or office max. Ink jet ink runs if it get a little wet--last thing you want is a sloppy resume'.

Opps gotta go. I'll add more later.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Also worth noting, most headhunters bill the employer a % or flat fee.

Your cost is normally _zero_ for using a headhunter, but it's always wise to double check.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    well - sent .. 300 to 4000 resumes. im bad in counting. got 2 jobs out of those.

then basically quit looking for. and got the jobs. ugh.

ratio of interviews per got jobs: bad.

the interviews where i GOT the jobs: white t-shirts, casual but break all the dressing code. i hope i can add to this category: ask your future boss to interview 11 PM your time in a chat program. ha. white t-shirts, dirty hair on ponytail and face as fresh as it gets after 16 hours in front of 2 LCDs rock..

oh wait, got to still investigate the legend ...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Do you have an official job description? Do you have a lot of work experience or is this your first job after college? If this is your first career you might want to put your education experience above your work experience on your resume'. Highlight your most outstanding bullet point and put that first. Don't bother with an objective statement because EVERYBODY has an objective and they are all the same. I've read 100's of resume's and I've seen less than a handfull of unique objective statements.

Write a good cover letter. Don't just send a resume'. Find a few dozen places you want to work for and write individual cover letters for each. Make sure the reader knows you have researched the company and are enthusiasic about being employed there. Write a good form cover letter--this should take days to BTW if not longer--for the other 200 resume's you send out. Have your resume's printed at Kinkos or office max. Ink jet ink runs if it get a little wet--last thing you want is a sloppy resume'.

Opps gotta go. I'll add more later.

Thanks for the feedback. I included an objective because of my current job title, I have experience (as outlined below), I do take my time with cover letters, and usually snail mail my resumes in on laser printed, resume paper.

Here is resume I just sent out for an Access database developer:

OBJECTIVE

To obtain a database programmer position that enables me to use my skills and energy to contribute to the overall success of an organization.

DEVELOPER TOOLS and TECHNOLOGIES\t

Microsoft Access 97/2000

Visual Basic 6 and VBA 6

REALbasic (Macintosh platform)\t\t\t\t

Various Scientific Development Languages

Data Access Objects and Active-X Data Objects \t\t

Structured Query Language (SQL)

Microsoft Office 97/2000/Developer \t\t\t\t

Microsoft Visio

EXPERIENCE

SOME COMPANY New York ? 11/01 to present

Associate Scientist ? 11/01 to present

?\tMaintain a Windows based LAN and several workgroups in the quality control department.

?\tDevelop and enhance departmental databases and custom spreadsheets.

?\tProvide operating system, application, PC hardware, and printer support.

?\tTrain staff in computer hardware and software procedures.

Major Accomplishments:

?\tDeveloped a custom VBA application that has boosted productivity and saves the department over 8 weeks of manpower each year.

?\tInterfaced several databases with Lotus Notes to provide e-mail support directly from within the database application (through ADO).

ANOTHER COMPANY (formerly yet another company), New York ? 09/95 to 11/01

System Administrator and Metrologist ? 08/99 to 11/01

?\tManaged a Windows NT based LAN to provide user administration, security, and troubleshooting.

?\tOversaw the company?s metrology program.

?\tDeveloped custom office applications to automate and enhance efficiencies throughout the organization.

?\tDesigned and marketed website to promote the company?s services.

?\tExecuted on-site job training to enhance employee computer skills.

Major Accomplishments:

?\tProgrammed a labeling application in Visual Basic that saved the company hundreds of man-hours each year by eliminating the need to hand label using a complex naming format on a large number of supplies.

?\tCreated an automated HTML based e-mail solution using Outlook/Access to promote company services.

Metrologist ? 06/98 to 08/99

Laboratory Technician ? 09/95 to 06/98

EDUCATION

B.S. awarded from the State University College at Buffalo, New York ? May 1994

CONTINUING EDUCATION

Computer Based Lectures:

Microsoft Visio 2002 ? Level 2

Microsoft Project 2002 - Advance

Building Client/Server Applications with Microsoft Access 2000

Master Access 2000 Programming

Advance Access 2000

Waters Millennium 4.0 Client/Server System Administration utilizing Windows 2000 Server

PC Hardware Repair and Maintenance

Windows NT Server 4.0 System Administration

Other Lectures:

Managing Multiple Projects, Objectives and Deadlines

Strategies for Implementing 21 CFR Part 11 ? Electronic Records and Signatures

REFERENCES

Available upon request.

These are data systems I work with every day:

http://www.waters.com/WatersDivision...ef=JDRS-5KXPGA

which controls these:

http://www.waters.com/WatersDivision...ef=JDRS-5KBKGZ

Here is the Image Analysis stuff I work with:

http://www.mediacy.com/ipp/ipptours.htm

Because I work in the laboratory setting, I fall under a regulator environment. All of my systems need to be validated. Here are some site that discuss what I do:

http://www.labcompliance.com/index.htm

http://www.21cfrpart11.com/

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Dave
  • Reply 13 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Me too. I got my current job wearing a t-shirt to a sudden interview.

But you're a girl, right? Wearing white t-shirts can have their advantages...

yes. i am a girl.

i know wha you mean. they were looking at the apple logo..