Power Supplies

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
iMacs sold in USA have a 100-120V power supply, those sold in Europe have a 100-240V power supply --- why?

I am a new subscriber and the company I work for are transferring me to England next year so if I buy a new iMac I can't take it with me and just plug it in as I can with any PC - or any Mac up till now. So why have Apple done this? They have complicated the build pattern, alientated potential buyers like me (and there are a lot of people like me!) and I can't understand why?

Am I missing something or is it just perverse?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Well, if there's a real cost savings (think of the guy who saved an airline millions of $$$ by reducing the # of olives from 3 to 2 per salad) and Apple sells 60% of their hardware in USA, it actually kinda makes sense. Although your argument about all computers having worldwide capable power supplies is totally valid.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can't you use a power converter they sell them at apple store and other mac sales stores you can then take your hairdryer and other personal electronics
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

can't you use a power converter they sell them at apple store and other mac sales stores you can then take your hairdryer and other personal electronics

You are right I could use a transformer but none I can see are rated for continuous use which means I have to keep unplugging the computer when I am not using it - and I prefer to keep it connected and "alive".

More fundamental is Apple don't seem to want to sell me a 100-240V model in the USA! I can't see what difference it makes as they all come from Taiwan anyway!!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Has anybody thought of calling Apple and saying they want a WW power supply and trying to get it BTO?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Reading this thread I have to share a story with you. It is about the new iMac's power supply, obviously, and it is a very recent story, too...

A good friend of mine was recently in the USA on business. He called me shortly before he went, and mentioned he's thinking about getting a new Mac - maybe the PowerBook 15". We discussed quite extensively pros and cons of the current Apple offerings - and I also mentioned that the absolutely latest offering was Apple's new iMac, introduced a couple of days earlier. Half jokingly I remarked that maybe he would want to get one of these - they are the world's thinnest desktop computer, so maybe he could transport it almost as easily as a PowerBook...

Anyway, he returned last week-end and called with his news. He had bought a Mac - no PowerBook, but the new iMac! He was VERY EXCITED that he had managed to get hold of it (he got the 17" 1.6 GHz), and very vividly described how he visited NYC's Apple Store for three or four days in a row and BEGGED to buy this new iMac... And yes, on the last day of his stay, he REALLY managed to get hold of it - although, as he mentioned, he had to buy an extra suitcase, too, just to take his new iMac as luggage back home (we live in the Czech Republic). He talked about an hour (!) on the phone and really sounded VERY EXCITED about it all - inviting us (me and my wife - we both have our own iBook) to come over, and to "drool over" his "absolutely gorgeous" iMac.

So earlier this week I called him to see when we should come over. No more vivid enthusiasm in his voice: "You know what happened? I plugged the power chord in, and the iMac EXPLODED! Big bluish flames came out of it, all over! I was absolutely SHOCKED! TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE!" (His wife told us, separately, that he was so taken by this that he stopped to speak for a couple of days...) Of course, it occurred to me suddenly, he had an US machine (110 V), whereas we in Europe have 220V... He said, though, that the staff at the NYC's Apple Store ASSURED him that voltage-wise, the new iMac can be used everywhere. I was skeptical hearing this and checked Apple's web site and found that information this topic's starter found as well (US iMacs go 100 - 120 V, European iMacs go 100 - 240 V). Maybe the Apple Store staff got this one mixed up.

So, what's up with my friend's "new" iMac? He explained that "afterwards", he had brought his iMac to some Mac shop here in Prague, and they told him that they had seen this kind of accident a few times before, and that they would see what they could do with it (check the machine thoroughly and completely) - and, apparently, they told him he shouldn't worry too much (!)...

He said that he hadn't heard of them yet (we spoke a couple of days ago), and that he would call me again once he's got his iMac back, obviously working again. I haven't heard of him yet, so there's only guessing...

So much for power supplies and US iMacs in Europe...

Jan
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

Has anybody thought of calling Apple and saying they want a WW power supply and trying to get it BTO?

The first thing I did was to call Apple and ask if I could order a BTO iMac with WW power supply. I was put on hold while the helpfull salesperson contacted tech support. The answer was that an iMac bought in USA had a switchable 100-240V power supply. I politely asked them to check; put on hold again then was told I was right the power supply of USA suppled iMacs was 100-120V only. I asked if I could order a 100-240V power supplied iMac for delivery in USA - put on hold again. Very apologetic salesperson then told me I could only order a USA spec 100-120V power supply iMac in USA. When I asked why - they all come from Taiwan so what is so hard about putting a USA address label on a packege? Salesperson checked again and I was told that they were sorry but I could NOT get a 100-240V system delivered to me in the USA; salesperson said they couldn't give me a reason but those were the rules! When I then asked what I should do if I moved to UK - again put on hold - answer was to contact Apple in UK and order a 100-240V power supply when I arrived in UK "they will probably sell you one".

So there you have it, Apple will "probably" selll you a 100-240V power supply (at what price?) when you get to Europe. Of course if they decide not to sell you one then you are stuck with a third party transformer which you you must disconnect after each time you use the computer - no permanent connection for you!!

Every PC I have ever owned has had a switchable power supply, and, I think every Apple computer until now has one as well. So, WHY is the iMac so different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know why Apple is taking this position?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I have to say I find that just weird. I really would have thought it'd be a very simple matter for them but clearly for some odd reason an order has come from above. Contact Apple UK and ask them about getting one now.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    One possible solution is to buy an iMac in Taiwan. It will include a 100-240V power supply, and if you pay in cash you get a 5% discount as well.

And I just thought of something. I run a company in Ireland (Avara.Net Ltd). We could sell you a European 100-240V iMac, and wouldn't even need to charge you the 21% sales tax, as we are sales tax registered and do not need to charge it for export business. If anyone is interested in that offer, please do contact me, however note that because of shipping and the euro currency difference you will likely end up paying about $200 more, so I guess it is not really an option.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I have to say I find that just weird. I really would have thought it'd be a very simple matter for them but clearly for some odd reason an order has come from above. Contact Apple UK and ask them about getting one now.

I e-mailed Apple UK only to get an auto answer saying that they were not responding to e-mails and I should call their toll free number. Great, only you can't call toll free numbers in UK from the USA! So I am now trying to find a regular number for Apple UK Sales or Applecare to ask them about buying a 100-240V power supply.

I will post the results of my saga as it progresses.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    You could try an independent dealer as well, for example Galmac in in Galway, Ireland (they should be able to get the part)... www.galmac.ie
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by RickT

I e-mailed Apple UK only to get an auto answer saying that they were not responding to e-mails and I should call their toll free number. Great, only you can't call toll free numbers in UK from the USA! So I am now trying to find a regular number for Apple UK Sales or Applecare to ask them about buying a 100-240V power supply.

I will post the results of my saga as it progresses.

Well today I have spoken to Apple UK, Applecare UK and Applecare USA. Basically it comes down to this, Apple warranties for desktop computers only applies to the country in which the computer is purchased, so if I bought an Apple 100-240V power supply from Apple and fitted it to a USA purchased iMac not only would I invalidate the warranty in the USA but I would have no warranty coverage in the UK.

The Applecares recommendation (and everyone I spoke to was very helpful within their limits) is simply this:

If you want an iMac in USA buy one here, if you want one in UK buy one there. If you want an iMac you might move from USA to UK then don't buy an iMac at all but buy an Apple laptop! A laptop has international support across the world.

The best thing was that both USA and UK Apple thought the system was 'strange' (their words) but couldn't really offer any solution, though both admitted that they had received several inquiries just like mine.

So there you have it, Apple doesn't support desktops internationally and if you do change the power supply then you are on your own - and I could never get a price for the 100-240V power supply from anyone!

So I guess I am stuck with my old PC - which I dislike intensely, but at least has auto voltage switching - and will not be getting the 20" top end iMac I want.

Go figure.

END OF SAGA.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

You are right I could use a transformer but none I can see are rated for continuous use which means I have to keep unplugging the computer when I am not using it - and I prefer to keep it connected and "alive".

Well, I don't know jack about power converting, but this site has some converters that are continuous.

I have never ordered from that site, but have included it only for informational purposes.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by endymionls

Well, I don't know jack about power converting, but this site has some converters that are continuous.

I have never ordered from that site, but have included it only for informational purposes.

Thanks - that looks like a good option.

I still wonder why Apple don't include an auto switching 100-240V power supply as standard as they do with their other computers. Or, at least, include it as a BTO option.