? about Virtual pc

g2gg2g
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can you load any software that will run on a pc onto Virtual pc ie...games etc.. or does it work only for office, powerpoint, excel,type programes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by G2G

Can you load any software that will run on a pc onto Virtual pc ie...games etc.. or does it work only for office, powerpoint, excel,type programes

Almost everything works. The exceptions are software that tries to take direct control of hardware. This list can be surprising e.g. Turbo Tax for Business 2003 wouldn't work because it tried to do something to the hardrive that it shouldn't.

I run specialized software (Rational's suite), and when I have to use IE for Windoze e.g. when accessing a Sharepoint site.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Games that need a hardware 3D accelerator won't work. IIRC, 3D hardware acceleration was planned for the new version of VPC, but was dropped. You should be able to run old games that don't need 3D hardware (possibly through a DOS emulator in Windows, such as DosBox. )
  • Reply 3 of 4
    g2gg2g Posts: 39member
    Thanx...after reading about the xbox team working on Virtual PC 7 ...it looks like they will ad that ...I was going to use my Quicken Preimier Home and Business...from Windoz {going to switch to a 15 PB....by Jan 05}..I want to run my business from my PB,so the 15 is light enough and can play a few games ut 04 and Americas Army....I just was looking at my pc games Rome Total War and soon to be out HL2...so it would be cool to play a few pc games ,I think for the most part I will buy an Xbox and or a playstation 2...for my gaming fix
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Yeah, I've got one foot in the Apple Switch scenario but I can't give up my Windows games. I love them too much. The hi-res graphics are what do it for me - I can't stand consoles with low-res TVs. I built a little Shuttle PC for playing games and flogged my main PC. Now I just need a couple hundred quid more and I can order a PowerMac G5.