Need to edit music bought from iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Long story cut shot.

"Fundie Twat" at work has made an official complaint that a song Ive played "Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus" is offensive to him, so I was going to edit the song and replace all the instances of 'Jesus' with a sample of Flanders from the Simpsons when his home gets destroyed by a tornado.

I got the song from iTunes, so its .m4p on Windoze.

I tried to open in Quicktime (non-pro) but couldn't export

I tried to open in Cubase SX but it wouldn't recognise

Quicktime does play the audio, so the codec is there.

Will Quicktime Pro export into audio?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You could burn it to a cd in itunes and then rip it into any format you want...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you could also drop the DRM by using HYMN
  • Reply 3 of 8
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I think Audio Hijack let's you record any music of your mac to an editable format. On your Mac that is...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

you could also drop the DRM by using HYMN

Hymn will be useful here, but more for convenience than anything else.

The main advantage of Hymn is that you can use it to remove DRM without affecting sound quality -- the DRM-free song files you create with Hymn contain the exactly same audio signal content as their originals, which isn't true if you do something like burn an iTMS song to CD, then re-rip the CD as compressed audio.

If you're going to edit compressed audio, DRM-protected or not, you typically need to expand it into uncompressed form before editing it. When you're done editing, you either have to keep a very large file around, or compress the data again. If you use anything other than lossless compression, you'll get generational loss of sound quality, whether you'd used Hymn or used burning to CD (re-ripping as AIFF or Apple lossless) as your trick for getting the song into an editable form.

My advice is that when you're done editing, don't recompress all the way back down to the 128 kbps of the iTMS original you're using. Doing so can cause some nasty degradation that you don't need to be a finicky audiophile to hear. Instead, use at least 192 kbps if you need to compress the result at all.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Oh Fuck me!

This guy really, i mean really did not approve of NIN:Closer

The expression on his face will be with me for the rest of my life, It would be worth being fired for! (but hopefully not- though I am now in a spot of bother)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    You might consider just using iMovie to do the editing and export to Quicktime.All iTunes music is available for import and after it is edited can be exported as .aiff or .mp4.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Oh Fuck me!

This guy really, i mean really did not approve of NIN:Closer

bastard, how can he not like NIN!!!!!!!!! ahhh, trent reznor is my home dawg!!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    I decided to check out the lyrics for Personal Jesus to see what all his fuss is about, so I googled it, and holy shit, marilyn manson has just done a cover of it

It's promptly bought from iTunes and burned to CD.

BTW, this guy came up to me again on Monday, and while I wasn't looking for a fight, he obviously was, so I ripped the mother fucker to shreds.

WTF is wrong with the right-wing fundamentalist bigots?

I have tolerated this guy for over 6 months now (honestly I have), he is a new recruit (now we have 2 fundie twats at work). Ive listened to him doing his militant evanglism routine since the third day he was here. I just responded with politeness, no fuss, no whinging, no arguments, and then the twat pulls a 'you cant play that song because I find it offensive'

Incidently, while I was doing some research, I came across the "Baby Jesus Butt Plug" - A perfect christmas present for the anally retarded fundies no doubt.

The arrogant two faced hypocrisy was startling. He now knows not to mess with MarcUK