Fink's MySQL vs. mysql.com's MySQL

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to install MySQL on my system, and I don't get the difference between Fink's version of MySQL and mysql.com's. The version numbers are certainly different (former is 4.0, latter is 5.0), are they differnet softwrae? Which should I install?

TIA,

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Fink packages software so that it is easy to compile. Usually they just adjust some of the build settings (like where the final product go), and sometimes add a few patches to make it compile. In this case MySQL 5 is still Alpha (unstable, new work is going into it), where as MySQL 4.x is the current version. Fink just is distributing the current version, rather than the alpha version.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I used to use Marc Liyanage's MySQL package but now I just use the mysql.com version. I still use Marc's precompiled PHP package adding support for additional libraries as well as PHP 5.

I'm a programmer, but one reason I prefer macs is that I don't have to compile everything under the sun anytime I want to use something. I'm glad most of the apps I want to use are available as packaged bundles.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    MySQL.com offers a regular OSX-native installer for MySQL now. No need to compile or anything. I would trust that more than Fink. I would also use the 4.0 release, unless you really know why you need to use a pre-release 4.1 or 5.x version.

Go to http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.0.html and scroll down to "Installer package (Mac OS X v10.3)".
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Thank you all for the clarafication.

So the version number 4.0.17-11 (stable) 4.0.17-11 (unstable) showing on Fink's page are the actual version number from mysql.com?

TIA,

Eric
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by giba

Thank you all for the clarafication.

So the version number 4.0.17-11 (stable) 4.0.17-11 (unstable) showing on Fink's page are the actual version number from mysql.com?

TIA,

Eric

They should refer to the same build number, so the answer is a yes.