The joys of iCal

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone else use iCal?

I have always thought of it as "just" a calendar, when it is far from that. I started using it about a month ago, just adding stuff into it, now I live by it. Having my entire month all planned out and I can view it all in a second. I love iCal!

iDunno.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    So... what *are* the joys of iCal?

I had a quick look at the program, but i couldn't see much past the calender function, and i've never seemed to develop a use for calanders.

Is there something deeper that i'm missing?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    It's a great program. The amazingly intuitive interface makes it the easiest calendar I've ever used. The calendar sharing feature (via WebDAV) is awesome for checking on what my friend's class schedules are like.

And the main reason iCal rocks is the interoperability with iSync. I can keep events (w/ alarms) synchronized between my phone and my iCal without a hitch, along with Address Book.

There's definitely room for improvement in iCal, but I like it a lot right now.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    iCal is a productivity program that won't even allow you to print your daily To-Do list out on a sheet by itself and run with it.

A printed Action List would be helpful, since Jobs refuses to release the Apple PDA.

Until Apple fixes that silly omission, the app is hardly worth daily use.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

A printed Action List would be helpful, since Jobs refuses to release the Apple PDA.

Until Apple fixes that silly omission, the app is hardly worth daily use.

Funny. I use my iPod for that. And I seem to remember paying more for my Palm than I did for my iPod.

iCal is nice. Hope to see some improvements in Tiger.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The reason I don't like iCal is that it doesn't work too well for homework. There isn't a hybrid list/schedule: the only passable way to organize homework is to make each piece and 'all day event', which is pretty clunky.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The reason I don't like iCal is that it doesn't work too well for homework. There isn't a hybrid list/schedule: the only passable way to organize homework is to make each piece and 'all day event', which is pretty clunky.

Huh?! You can customise iCal to create all the different types of calendars and todo lists you want - colour coded too.

Just play around with it a bit and see. Took me a while to realise what it was all about too.

Cheers.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I like the "creating an event and then sending everyone invitation's" action in iCal... and getting the "so and so will attend" replies back are awesome as well.

iDunno
  • Reply 8 of 10
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    i'm waiting for rendezvous integration...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    When it works with Exchange 2003 I will start to care.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I just switched from mail.app/iCal to Entourage. Two reasons:

1) My work uses Groupwise, and I often get invitations. Mail.app doesn't know what to do with them.

2) My iPaq syncs better with Entourage than with iCal.

Do I like Entourage more? Not really. I don't like the way it lags when checking mail. The update from an imap server is slow. But the sync with my iPaq is fantastic.