Two G4s... Which is better?? Help please!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Which of the following G4s is better....

G4 #1 733 Mhz Digital Audio version

CPU: 7450 (733 Mhz)

FPU: integrated

motherboard RAM: 0 MB

maximum RAM: 1.5 GB

minimum speed: 133 Mhz/10 ns

ROM: 1 MB ROM + 3 MB toolbox ROM loaded into RAM

L1 cache: 32 k data, 32 k instruction

L2 cache: 256k 1:1 on-chip L2 cache

L3 cache: 1 MB backside (1:3)

data path: 64 bit

bus speed: 133 Mhz (up to 1Ghz memory throughput)

slots: 4 64-bit 33Mhz PCI, 1 266Mhz (4x) AGP

or

G4 #2 733 Mhz Quicksilver version

CPU: MPC 7450 (733 Mhz)

FPU: integrated

motherboard RAM: 0 MB

maximum RAM: 1.5 GB

minimum speed: 133 Mhz/10 ns

Display: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 32 MB (733/867 Mhz)/ 64 MB Twinview (dual 800 Mhz)

supports all resolutions (VGA/DVI and ADC out)

ROM: 1 MB ROM + 3 MB toolbox ROM loaded into RAM

L1 cache: 32 k data, 32 k instruction

L2 cache: 256k 1:1 on-chip L2 cache

L3 cache: none

data path: 64 bit

bus speed: 133 Mhz (up to 1Ghz memory throughput)

slots: 4 64-bit 133Mhz PCI, 1 266Mhz (4x) AGP (used by graphics card)

Both have same RAM, HD, Optical Drive, Zip, SCSI card, and Geforce 2 MX. My question is which is better? Apple-history stats are listed. So tell me which is better...

Now it might just be me.... but it sounds like the OLDER one is faster then the newer one!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    #1 because of the 1MB L3 cache
  • Reply 2 of 14
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    [quote]Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself:

<strong>Now it might just be me.... but it sounds like the OLDER one is faster then the newer one!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think the newer one was the entry level model at the time, hence the lack of level 3 cache, where as the older one wasn't. There is some degree of overlap between older high end models and newer entry level models.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Say it ain't so! And I just sold the older one two. CRAP!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Good luck finding one of the Digital Audio 733s, though. As they were the very top, (maybe even custom-order) there never were too many out on the market. Didn't they come with SuperDrive, though? But, I agree, it would be faster.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by bauman:

<strong>Didn't they come with SuperDrive, though? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, originally they only came with the Superdrive but then Apple got rid of the 667MHz tower and added a 733 without the Superdrive.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hmm, the original DA 733s had problems because the 7450s at the time were chock-full of errata.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    The 667Mhz G4 must be the rarest piece of hardware since the introduction of the first Powermac. I've never even heard of someone who had one of these.

G-News
  • Reply 8 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by G-News:

<strong>The 667Mhz G4 must be the rarest piece of hardware since the introduction of the first Powermac. I've never even heard of someone who had one of these.

G-News</strong><hr></blockquote>

RIT, where I go to school, has about 30 of them dispersed in a few multimedia projects labs. I've never seen then anywhere else besides compSCREWsa. Where did they all go? :eek:
  • Reply 9 of 14
    So given the choice, is the #1 THAT much better? How about a percent difference? Like 2%? or like 20%?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    The L3 cache does make a big difference. When the DVI Powerbooks came out, weren't there some benchmarks that showed the 667MHz model with L3 outperforming the 800MHz, cacheless tower?

I think the Quicksilver is a better-LOOKING machine, if that counts for anything.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    That #1 733 with the 1 MB L3 cache was the top of the line with the first SuperDrive (Pioneer DVR-A03) and iDVD 1.0 from January 2000 to July 2000 when it was replaced by a dual 800 and #2 became the bottom of the line without a SuperDrive.

Big mistake selling #1 Â?Â*a true collector's item that should have never been sold by the original owner. Shame on you!

Why did you build this string and then not wait for us to all weigh in before selling either one?!??!?!

It's only been 6 days since you set it up and I just found it tonight!

You "waited" less than 38 minutes to sell one after going to all that trouble to list all the specs? Amazing! And outrageous!

[ 10-10-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Apple had alot of play in its lineup back then you had the cube the 533 BTO dual the 667 and the 733 people with the money to get a 667 either went for the dual 533 or a cube. Personally i went for the dual 533, love this machine
  • Reply 13 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    cache always makes a HUGE difference, but the amount varies according to the size on level. Cache is why a ti500 is DRAMATICALLY more powerful than a ti550.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Relax all! My 'buyer' fell through and I now plan on relisting the quicksilver instead of the graphite. Thx for your input. I rashly had presumed the newer one was better (silly me, or should I say silly Apple). In any case, I will be keeping the older and selling the newer. If interested in a quick purchase PM me.