Transparent screen protector for iMac...recommendations?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all. This is my first post. I ordered 17-inch iMac (this is my first Mac!) and wonder if you guys can recommend which screen protector I should get. I found several but don't know which one is the best.

Thank you for your advice!!!

The following links are the ones I found:

Power Support (available in Japan):http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/kf.php

Shaggy Mac:http://www.shaggymac.com/screenprotectors.html

Macally:http://www.macally.com/spec/specialt...protector.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Why do you feel this is necessary? A screen protector is going to make the picture quality worse.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I have a screen protector for my iMac. It's called Fear Of Having Your Ass Kicked.

Anyone touches the display, I kick their fucking ass.

Actually, it's the same protector I've used on all my Macs. Never had a problem!
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    I just couldn't imagine putting anything over my LCD display...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I think what you're considering is more appropriate for Apple notebooks, which can lead harder lives well but can do it better with help like a screen protector. As long as you're not reckless with your iMac, don't worry about it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Is it normal for one's notebook screen to take abuse? Other than a few fingerprints, in the past 10+ years, I've never harmed a notebook display. I guess if people aren't careful...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mikef and Republic thank you for your comments. I feel uneasy whenever I use LCD because it's surface is very soft. I use screen protector for my palm with no problem so if the protector is clear, picture shouldn't be bad. I contacted Power Support and they told me they might have the protector in the US for sale.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by RedBrown

mikef and Republic thank you for your comments. I feel uneasy whenever I use LCD because it's surface is very soft. I use screen protector for my palm with no problem so if the protector is clear, picture shouldn't be bad. I contacted Power Support and they told me they might have the protector in the US for sale.

Using a screen protector for a Palm makes sense since the stylus can easily scratch the screen.

To each his own, but I think it's overly paranoid to think that a desktop PC needs a screen protector.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I would configure a cloth cover for the screen when you are not using it to prevent dust and grime from settling on the screen. However, during active use I don't see the need for a plastic cover.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I would configure a cloth cover for the screen when you are not using it to prevent dust and grime from settling on the screen. However, during active use I don't see the need for a plastic cover.

I wouldn't recommend covering the entire iMac if it is left on at night, the vent on the back of my 17" 1.8 gets pretty hot, restricting airflow around the case could be very bad.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Is it normal for one's notebook screen to take abuse? Other than a few fingerprints, in the past 10+ years, I've never harmed a notebook display. I guess if people aren't careful...

Well, RedBrown, no need to worry either way. Do what makes you comfortable in the end.

Now, to answer that question, I don't either. But iBook G4s like mine can have their LCDs permamently marked by the keyboard when opened and closed frequently. It does not harm performance whatsoever, but you can see it in certain angles. That little protector covering the screen when you open the box should be kept for such purposes and that would do nicely.