Moved to GD: What should I buy for 3000 dollars?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok, now I was thinking about something like this:

Summary ---

? Power Mac G4 Dual 867MHz w/133MHz system bus

? 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM - 1 DIMM

? 120GB Ultra ATA drive

? Optical 1 - Apple SuperDrive

? Optical 2 - None

? ATI Radeon 9000 Pro dual-display w/64MB DDR

? Apple Studio Display (15" flat panel)

? 56K internal modem

? AirPort Card

? Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English

? Mac OS - U.S. English

Subtotal $2,997.00

This is my dream set-up for the price. Would you suggest something else? I really want a portable, but the powerbooks are too expensive and the ibooks dont meet my speed hunger. Any suggestions?...

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: Bioflavonoid ]

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Bioflavonoid:

<strong>

? 56K internal modem

</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you've got the airport card, think about running your internet connection off that. Take out the 56k modem and save some $$$.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Eh, I just ordered a:

Dual 1.25

512MB ram

120GB HD

Radeon 9000

No modem

Combo drive

For $2886, $3088 taxed (edu discount)

I already have a monitor though (will eventually use two 17" lcds with it)

The dvd writer, I figure, will get to some ludicrous write speed in a few years when DVD media is $0.20 each, then I'll get one of those (just recently my friend created two $5 coasters...)

As for you, I don't suggest getting apple ram and hard drive, too expensive, go bare bones on that.

As for 15" flat panel, I dunno, 1024x768 is just too small for me...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    What kind of monitor should I get? I really have my heart set on a 15 inch apple, but are there any really good cheap ones?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Also, if I got the bare bones on the memory, I would have a useless 256 chip b/c it takes up a dimm...but...I guess I wount be upgrading to 2 gigs for a while so that's ok. As for the HD, do you think that if I got a stock 60 gigger, I would be able to put in a 180 gig HD so that it would even out to be 240 allowing me to, in the future, put in the full 480?&lt;---In other words: could I put a 180 gig HD in the PM and would it work?

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: Bioflavonoid ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 9

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: Bioflavonoid ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Yeah the Apple screen is nice, but 15" for $600 is pricey for only 1024x768. I'd go for a 17" LCD from another brand; I use a samsung 17" myself (syncmaster 170T, DVI and VGA inputs) and I find it wonderful, though it is ~$750. If you use something like pricewatch.com or pricescan.com, you can find 17" screens for under $600, which go to 1280x1024 resolution (though you may have to sacrifice DVI/ADC for analog VGA).

The more screenspace is worth it though, imo.

As for the memory, yeah it'll be a while before you use 2GB. Hard drive, they're getting bigger and bigger, just get them as you need them (do a RAID stripe with another 60GB for more performance )
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]could I put a 180 gig HD in the PM and would it work?<hr></blockquote>

yes, but you might have to partition it. I can't remember what the max size of HDD that the OS can detect. Either way you will be able to boot from it eventially (it just might need to be partitioned as i said).
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Mac OS X can support up to 200GB. I have a 200GB WD and it see it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Purchasing advice belongs in General Discussion.