Do I need GeForce4?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not sure what to get. I'd like to get a video card that wont be out of date for a while. I'm not really going to play alot of games, maybe Diablo II, The Sim's, and that's about it. I'm going to use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Quark, Illustrator, InDesign, Final Cut Pro, Macromedia Director 8.5. I'm going to use 2 monitors at about 1600x1200 each monitor. Will the 9000 pro be enough or should I get a GeForce4. That, or should I just wait until the 9700 pro come's to the mac? Will there be a big difference in quartz performance between these three cards?

[ 10-05-2002: Message edited by: Altivec_2.0 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Well....if you are running dual monitor at 1600x1200 you have to remember that the RAM will get splited in half to each monitor.

So if your using the Radeon 9000 only 32MB RAM is available to each monitor.

Photoshop, FCP etc are fine with 32MB at this high resolution.

But for games and 3D apps.............no no no no no

Even I have the Ti card I still don't want it to drive two monitors.....I am such as a$$

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 2
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I'm sure for your uses, 32MB/monitor is fine, so the 9000 will be good, though if you can wait for the 9700. ATI's cards usually have higher graphics quality than Nvidia's (or so I hear), so I would go with ATI.