Video Editing/Compositing iMac g5 vs PowerBook g4

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Ok.. of course I really want a dual G5 with cinema display but can't afford.

So I'm thinking of either the IMac G5 20" loaded up with Ram or the 1.5 Powerbook G4 17" screen.

I'm just a video Hobbyist but I like playing with Final Cut Pro, After Effects and DVD studio.

My work involves Photoshop and PowerPoint.

Right now I'm on a 450MHz G4 with a 19" CRT, so anything will be an improvement.

Anyone have any thoughts on which would be better for my usage??

Thanks

I can't seem to find info regarding Final Cut on Imac. Calling Apple didn't help much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmmm... I think that . .

My work involves Photoshop and PowerPoint iMac G5 faster. bigger screen !

eo Hobbyist but I like playing with Final Cut Pro, After Effects and DVD studio. I hear you man, I do excactly the same. iMac G5. faster. bigger screen. one day you might like to try out Motion. iMac G5.

For video, I am getting tired of watching Final Cut Express on my 15" lCD screen. Tiny windows is a bore.

The G5 is faster. And that is good when it coems to video. Many will agree.

;-)

ZON

• Reply 2 of 7
    I've been running Final Cut Pro on my 12" Powerbook since 4 came out and it works fine. I also use photshop and DVD Studio, I even have shake and all is just dandy. I don't know what to think about the imav G5. I would ask myself weather or not i wanted to be potable or not. I would go with the powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Running FCP on a 12" pbook ?

1. iMac G5 will speed up everything; rendering. mpg2-compressing.

I bet that with a iMac G5, you must be doing some really heavy things for not experiencing real-time rendering.

2. Screen-estate. With a 20", FCE ( for myself ) will shine. Today, with a 15", working with 2 or 3 small windows creates a distance to my work.

Go for the iMac !

Zon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Normally I would be tempted to say the iMac, because of the speed & Display size difference, but it is the first model out & some are starting to complain about what sounds like could be some serious heat issues.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=46932

Do you need it right away?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    definitely iMac G5 for now, but ya gotta go for the Dual 2.5 when the funds are there. Dual processors, no matter what speed, are way better for quicktime stuff, which is everything for video.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bulky Cranium

some are starting to complain about what sounds like could be some serious heat issues.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=46932

Sounded to me like one person was complaining
  • Reply 7 of 7
    True Aussie John.

I'm just wary of first items from any production lines. Weather it's cars, computers, etc.

But yes looks like I jumped the gun there.