Beginner questions about upgrading G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm buying a stock dual 2GHz G5 (revB) for a friend.

He decided he wants the following upgrades (non-negotiable):

- 4 x 512 MB additional ram (original 2 x 256 not removed)

- 1 x 160 GB additional HD space (original HD not removed)

- Mac Radeon 9600XT AGP card (original nVidia card removed)

- Smart-UPS 700VA (or bigger, if needed, just for auto-shutdown, doesn't need to have long uptime).

My questions:

- Are the video card, hd and RAM easy to install for a first-timer? I probably end up doing it myself. I'm familiar with G3 and G4 innards, but this will be my first G5 to actually open.

- Any problems with memory incompatibilities? Can we just get generic PC3200 RAM and make it work with the RAM that ships with the computer (2 x 256 MB modules)?

- Is 700VA enough to power a 2x2GHz G5 and a 19" TFT (only 2-3 mins of uptime needed)? Does the UPS need to be beefier? I tried most UPS selectors (APC, MGE, PowerWare), but their G5/Apple selectable options are very limited.

- Are there any limitations on which SATA HDs one can use? I'm planning on Samsung SP1614C (Spinpoint SP80 series).

Any other tips about upgrading?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Those seem like reasonable upgrades, pretty close to how I'd spec a machine for myself. Installation should be straight forward. Only thing that might trip you up, to install the HD, you'll need to mount special plastic tabs to the side of it. These come inside the G5 and are used to slide the drive onto the mounting rails.

The 700VA UPS might be cutting it close. As batteries age, they loose capacity. With a slightly bigger UPS, in 2 years, it'll still have enough capacity to serve it's purpose. I'm not dead set on this so more opinions would be good.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The hard drive, graphic card, and RAM are all easy to access. You may try customizing your order with the XT graphic card so you don't have a wasted one floating around.

As for RAM... The G5 is VERY picky of what kind of ram you use. It has to be Dual channel, at a specific clockrate. Make sure you have G5 certified RAM that will work with your machine. Don't get the cheap stuff at Fry's, as not all Dual channel ram works.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The only thing I have to say is, "Don't buy RAM from Apple."