OS9 and Appletalk using Asantetalk

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to help this guy out. He had a power outage then went power came back on his Okidata OL1200/PS laser printer wouldnt work anymore.

He has a PM G4, and the printer is hooked up using a Asante Asantetalk adapter into a hub which also contains his ethernet cable from a cable modem router(his internet connection is working fine), then leading into his G4's ethernet port.

I couldnt get the computer to recognize his printer anymore. I tried pulling out the power cords, pulling out every other cord then plugging them back in, etc etc. Restarting the G4, etc.

Appletalk is still active but when I click on the Oki in the chooser, nothing happens. I tried going to page set-up then try to print and nothing happened.

He seemed to remember all 4 lights were on the Asantetalk adapter when it was working properly. I am assuming the adapter is now malfunctioning but its just a guess.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of set-up? If it is the adapter do they still sell it?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    AsanteTalk can be purchased buy clicking the Where to Buy link at the bottom of this page.

But before you buy a new one I have a used AsantéTalk and AsantéPrint that I'll ship to you. It's been a while since I used either of them, but you have 'em if you pay shipping. PM me with an address.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Also, check out the support forums on Asanté's website.

Shut everything off including the printer, computer and unplug the AsantéTalk. Then, in this order, plug in the AsantéTalk, then turned in the printer, and then started up the computer? I know this sounds kind of stupid but give it a try.

Edit: Direct link to forums
  • Reply 3 of 3
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Also, check out the support forums on Asanté's website.

Shut everything off including the printer, computer and unplug the AsantéTalk. Then, in this order, plug in the AsantéTalk, then turned in the printer, and then started up the computer? I know this sounds kind of stupid but give it a try.

Thank you for the info. I'll try that.

I will PM you if the guy gives me the OK to pay for the shipping. He's actually a client of mine, I keep up his PC and Mac once a week. This was a new problem to me.