Buying a notebook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am looking to buy my -first- apple notebook.

I would like to do some web work (html, css, xml) and some word processing.

I am not into playing games, so I don't care about graphics or a huge hard drive.

I would like to utilize the hotspots at Borders and Starbucks.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities of an older iBook, yet I wonder about the differences of regular Airport VS the Airport Extreme. I know Apple says "5 times faster...", but how does the speed seem to most of you? I just want to browse a few websites, and do email. However, I don't want to wait 20 minutes for a page to load.

The more memory the better, right?

How do you like the 12 inch screen? Does it bug you after a few hours of use?

What about the 14 inch screen?

Should I be looking at a Powerbook or an iBook, as I plan on getting a G5 tower (or iMac) in the future?

Do I have to worry if I buy from one of the resellers, like clubmac, macresq, or powermax?

Does anyone use the Mariner Write word processor?

I would like to do some programming as well, so any suggestions for a good IDE would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MrSwitchToMac

I am looking to buy my -first- apple notebook.

I would like to do some web work (html, css, xml) and some word processing.

I am not into playing games, so I don't care about graphics or a huge hard drive.

I would like to utilize the hotspots at Borders and Starbucks.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities of an older iBook, yet I wonder about the differences of regular Airport VS the Airport Extreme. I know Apple says "5 times faster...", but how does the speed seem to most of you? I just want to browse a few websites, and do email. However, I don't want to wait 20 minutes for a page to load.

The more memory the better, right?

How do you like the 12 inch screen? Does it bug you after a few hours of use?

What about the 14 inch screen?

Should I be looking at a Powerbook or an iBook, as I plan on getting a G5 tower (or iMac) in the future?

Do I have to worry if I buy from one of the resellers, like clubmac, macresq, or powermax?

Does anyone use the Mariner Write word processor?

I would like to do some programming as well, so any suggestions for a good IDE would be appreciated.

You should be just fine with an iBook. Difference between Airport and Airport Extreme is the same as 802.11b vs 802.11g if you're more familiar with those terms. Regular airport should be plenty fast for connections.

I will say that if you look the iBook route, get a G4 iBook and not a G3 iBook.

Web work is fine --> SubEthaEdit should work well.

At least 384 MB IMO is minimum memory you should get... 512 is better.

I've worked with the 12" screen on my PB for hours without a problem. You'll want to try it firsthand though, everyone has a different opinion.

Apple has its own IDE in XCode (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xcode/). Eclipse is available for Java if you need it.

Buying from a reseller should be fine. Amazon's currently running $150 mail in rebate on all notebooks, so it's easily the best deal by far on the current lineup, especially iBooks. You can also get 1.57% discount if you have used A9.com and then go over to Amazon (details here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/xs/sharethe...286711-5871364)

Never used Mariner Write before, so I can't comment on it.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Even with the fastest internet connection, there is no perceptible difference between 802.11B and G. Unless you're doing direct computer to computer transfering of files (not over the internet), you will not notice a difference.